||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2015)|
|Also known as||Peixonauta|
|Genre||Children's television series, Educational entertainment, Educational television|
|Created by||Célia Catunda
|Directed by||Célia Catunda
|Voices of||Fábio Lucindo as Fishtronaut (Brazil)
Dawn Ford as Fishtronaut (USA)
Angela Galuppo as Marina (USA)
Terrence Scammell as Zeek and Happy Plumb (USA)
Rick Jones as Dr. Green (USA)
Justin Bradley as Mac and Billy (USA)
Holly Gauthier-Frankel as Rosy Barb (USA)
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||108 (each season contains 26 pairs of episodes) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes (two episodes in a pair fill a 30 minute block)|
|Production company(s)||TV PinGuim
|Original network||Discovery Kids (Latin America)
Discovery Familia (USA Spanish dub)
Qubo (USA English dub)
|Original release||April 20, 2009– present|
|Official website (English)|
|(Portuguese) Production website|
Fishtronaut (Portuguese: Peixonauta) is a Brazilian animated television series created by Celia Catunda and Kiko Mistrorigo and produced by TV PinGuim, in association with Discovery Kids (Latin America). The series tells the story of Fishtronaut, a fish in a spacesuit, similar to reverse scuba gear, which allows him to fly and breathe out of water. He is a secret agent who, along with his friends Marina and Zeek, unravel the mysteries occurring in the Smiling Trees Park. They solve the mysteries with the help of a P.O.P. (Primary Objective Pod), a magical multicolored ball containing clues vital to the mission. Viewers are invited to dance along with the heroes to a tune, so that the P.O.P. will open and release the clues inside. The series is aimed at children ages 3-7 and debuted successfully on Discovery Kids in Latin America on April 20, 2009. In the international market, the series is marketed by the names of Peztronauta (Spanish) or Fishtronaut (English). After success on TV, Peixonauta was produced as a play called Peixonauta to TV Theatre, which premiered on January 9, 2011 in Rio de Janeiro. On November 9, 2012, a movie titled Peixonauta – Agente Secreto da O.S.T.R.A. (in English: Fishtronaut - Secret Agent of O.Y.S.T.E.R.) was released. As of March 30, 2015, the series also airs on the Qubo network, owned by Ion Media Networks, originally airing weekday mornings at 8:00am EST before airing every morning at 8:00am EST.
The show is set in the Smiling Trees Park, where elephants, monkeys and other animals from around the world roam free. Children are welcome to explore the forest and climb the trees, or ride a sub to the bottom of the cove and its colorful reef. In the park is Quiet Lake, which is fed by a long river. The river also extends beyond the lake into a sandy cove along the ocean.
- Fishtronaut–An anthropomorphic big goldfish. He wears a Bubblex suit that allows him to fly out of water. It also has numerous tools useful during missions. He is always watching his friends Marina and Zeek, and investigating the problems of the Smiling Trees Park in order to solve them. He lives at the bottom of Quiet Lake, though he spends more time out on the surface with his friends. He is also an aspiring inventor, creating machines generally useful to the park. He usually communicates through a video screen fitted into his suit.
- Marina–A bright and curious brown-haired 8-year-old human girl who is also Fishtronaut's best friend. Everyday, she proves to be a valuable member of the park's spy team. Whenever she and Fishtronaut happen to be apart, she can always use her trusty Aquawatch to stay in touch.
- Zeek–A tween-age monkey who may love to monkey around, but his awesome tree-climbing abilities and finely-tuned sniffer make him invaluable to the team. Though he does come up with the most implausible of theories and even cause the occasional mix-up, his intentions are nothing but the best.
- The Twins–Billy and Mac are Marina's rascal cousins. Their shenanigans tend to get them (and the park) in a heap of trouble, but they are harmless and have only the best intentions.
- Dr. Green–Marina and the twins’ grandfather who is also the wise vet/caretaker of Smiling Trees Park. He runs the park's Animal Hospital, which was built in a pod of a giant beanstalk. Whenever Marina's stuck, she knows Grandpa can help her find the answer.
- Rosy Barb–S.E.A. agent who loves color and enjoys decorating the ocean bottom until it's just right. She knows the cove inside out and whenever Fishtronaut's on dry land, he can always check in with Rosy via the Web Clam.
- Happy Plumb–A wise old fish who likes living quietly at the bottom of the cove and knows just about all there is. No one knows how long he's been around, but it's a very long time, indeed. He remembers the very beginnings of Smiling Trees Park. Whenever Fishtronaut is stumped, he knows Happy Plumb can point him in the right direction, that is, if he can decipher Plumb's riddle of an answer.
Except for a few episodes, they usually begin with Fishtronaut, Marina and Zeek playing around until a problem occurs in the Smiling Trees Park. Soon they are greeted by a P.O.P. coming up from the lake bottom. Following Fishtronaut's lead, Marina and Zeek clap their hands and stomp their feet until the P.O.P. opens up and delivers two clues. The characters try to uncover more clues, going to places related to the sites. On some occasions, when the characters doubt Fishtronaut knows the way back to the lake, they ask for help from the happy Chumbo. At the end, the trio manage to find all the clues and solve the case. Then, another P.O.P. appears, to thank the trio for their victory.
The film Peixonauta – Agente Secreto da O.S.T.R.A. was released in theaters on November 9, 2012, in commemoration of three years of the series. The film was planned for two years and was released months before the premiere[when?] of season 2 of the TV series.
- "Fish Tronaut". TV Tropes. Retrieved March 30, 2015.
- Fishtronaut at TV.com
- Credits and production information from: Fishtronaut Synopsis and Credits (PDF)
- An overview of Season 1's episodes may be found at: Episode Synopsis and Educational Objectives (PDF)
- Character and location information from the official website linked in the Infobox.