Fitchburg (MBTA station)
Fitchburg station in December 2013
|Location||100 Main Street, Fitchburg, Massachusetts|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Connections|| MART: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, MWCC/Commuter Rail Bus, Boston Shuttle, Worcester Shuttle
|Parking||400 spaces ($3.00 fee)
6 accessible spaces
|Bicycle facilities||20 spaces|
|Opened||January 13, 1980|
|Rebuilt||May 15, 2000|
|Passengers (2013)||518 (weekday inbound average)|
The Fitchburg Intermodal Transportation Center is a regional rail and bus station located in downtown Fitchburg, Massachusetts. It is a stop on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line and a hub for Montachusett Regional Transit Authority local and intercity bus routes.
After having closed on January 18, 1965 due to lapsed subsidies, Fitchburg reopened on January 13, 1980 as part of an extension of the line from South Acton to Gardner. Fitchburg was the outer terminus of Fitchburg Line service from the closure of Gardner in early 1987 to the opening of Wachusett in September 2016.
The still-extant 1980 station - a short stretch of bare asphalt - was replaced by the Fitchburg Intermodal Transportation Center on May 15, 2000. The new facility added a handicapped-accessible platform, waiting rooms, bus bays, and a larger parking lot. In June 2005, most of the surface parking was replaced with a 400-space parking garage.
|Ground level||← Freight track →|
|← Freight track →|
|Commuter rail||← Fitchburg Line →|
|Side platform, doors will open on the left, right|
Fitchburg is a major hub for the Montachusett Regional Transit Authority, serving local and intercity routes:
- 1 Intermodal Center-Kmart-Monument Square-The Mall at Whitney Field-Kings Corner
- 2 Intermodal/Monument Square Via Rte 12
- 3 Intermodal Center-Kings Corner-Mall at Whitney Field- Monument Square-Kmart
- 4 Intermodal Center-Fitchburg State University
- 5 Intermodal Center/Parkhill Plaza
- 6 Intermodal Center/Burbank/Fitchburg High School
- 7 Intermodal Center/John Fitch Plaza/Lunenburg Crossing
- 11 Intermodal Center/Waites Corner/Monty Tech
- MWCC/Commuter Rail Bus
- Boston Shuttle
- Worcester Shuttle
- "MAX Service Schedules". TrueNorth Transit Group. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14th ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014.
- Belcher, Jonathan (23 March 2013). "Changes to Transit Service in the MBTA district" (PDF). NETransit. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Prescott, Michael R. (11 October 2009). Boston Transit Equipment 1979-2009. Boston Street Railway Association. p. 52. ISBN 9780938315063.
- Hill, Mary Jo (November 28, 2007). "Rail parking lot to get decks". Worcester Telegram. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fitchburg (MBTA station).|