|24th Governor Connecticut Colony|
1698 – November 27, 1707
|Preceded by||Robert Treat|
|Succeeded by||Gurdon Saltonstall|
March 14, 1637|
|Died||November 27, 1707
In 1658 Winthrop went to England. He served in the English New Model Army in Scotland under General George Monck. He accompanied Monck when he marched into England in 1660 at the head of his army and restored King Charles II to the throne. As part of the restoration settlement most of the army was paid off and disbanded.
Winthrop, remained in England and was in London in 1661 when his father presented his petition to obtain a charter for the establishment of a Connecticut colony. In April 1663, both returned to New London.
Winthrop returned to Connecticut and was a representative in 1671. He was a major in King Philip's War, and in 1686 he was one of the council of Governor Andros. He was a Magistrate of Connecticut in 1689, and in 1690 he was appointed major-general and commanded the unsuccessful expedition of the New York and Connecticut forces against Canada. From 1693 to 1698 he was Agent of the Colony to Great Britain.  He was appointed governor of Connecticut in 1696 and held the post until his death in 1707.
Winthrop died in Boston, Massachusetts, on November 27, 1707. He is interred at the King's Chapel Burying Ground in Boston, Massachusetts. His funeral service was conducted by Cotton Mather, who called his sermon there Winthropi justa.
About 1677 he entered into a common-law marriage with Elizabeth Tongue, and the couple had one daughter, Mary.
- Winsor, Justin (1887) Narrative and critical history of America, Volume 5 Houghton, Mifflin and Co.,Boston page 111
- "Fitz-John Winthrop". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Fitz-John Winthrop". Connecticut State Library. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Chisholm 1911, p. 736.
- Fitz-John Winthrop. The governors of Connecticut: biographies of the chief executives. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Fitz-John Winthrop. 2. Dictionary of American Biography. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Winthrop, John (1606-1676)". Encyclopædia Britannica. 28 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 736.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fitz-John Winthrop.|
- Fitz-John Winthrop at Find a Grave
- "Winthrop, John". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. 1889.
|Governor of the Connecticut Colony