Five Billion Years of Solitude
This article has multiple issues. Please help to improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Publisher||Current, a member of Penguin Group|
|October 3, 2013|
|Media type||Print, e-book, audiobook|
Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars is a nonfiction work by the science author Lee Billings. The text was initially published on October 3, 2013 by Current. The paperback version was published on October 28, 2014.
In this book, Billings explores the scientists and science behind the ever-expanding universe of exoplanets. Since the first detection of a planet orbiting another Sun-like star in 1995, scientists have discovered an increasing number of worlds beyond our solar system through detections by telescopes and spacecraft. Billings reveals the scientists behind these discoveries and their thoughts on not only exoplanets, but also their triumphs and frustrations in their quest to solve one of the greatest mysteries of humankind: Are we alone? Billings includes interviews with Frank Drake, Geoffrey Marcy, Greg Laughlin, James Kasting, Matt Mountain, Wesley Traub, Sara Seager, and many other prominent researchers.
The book has 10 chapters:
- Looking for Longevity
- Drake's Orchids
- A Fractured Empire
- The Worth of a World
- After the Gold Rush
- The Big Picture
- Out of Equilibrium
- Aberrations of the Light
- The Order of the Null
- Into the Barren Lands
- Overbye, Dennis (8 November 2013). "Lonely Planet". Sunday Book Review. The New York Times. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Brown, Mike (15 November 2013). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars by Lee Billings". WP Opinion. The Washington Post. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Henderson, Caspar (21 November 2013). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Teitel, Amy Shira (14 October 2013). "Lee Billings' Five Billion Years of Solitude (Review)". Discovery News Book Reviews. Discovery News. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- Kuchner, Marc (12 December 2014). "Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars". Physics Today. 67 (12): 59. Bibcode:2014PhT....67l..59K. doi:10.1063/PT.3.2626. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- for Five Billion Years of Solitude — Penguin Books website