Five Days One Summer
|Five Days One Summer|
|Directed by||Fred Zinnemann|
|Produced by||Peter Beale|
|Written by||Michael Austin|
|Music by||Elmer Bernstein|
|Edited by||Stuart Baird|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Douglas Meredith, a middle-aged Scottish doctor is on vacation in the Alps in 1932 with a young woman, Kate, whom he introduces as his wife. Douglas has brought Kate to the Alps for a mountain climbing trip. Douglas and Kate are absorbed with a psychological melancholy. Through flashbacks, it is revealed that Kate has been in love with Douglas since she was a young girl and that she had seduced him away from another woman. The flashbacks also reveal that Kate is actually his niece. But then, in their mountain retreat, a handsome climbing guide appears and develops an attraction for Kate. A love triangle ensues, but in the end, during a mountaineering trip, only one man comes down safely while the other falls to his death. Either one's demise means enormous tears for Kate. But which one survives?
- Sean Connery as Douglas Meredith
- Betsy Brantley as Kate
- Lambert Wilson as Johann Biari
- Jennifer Hilary as Sarah Meredith
- Isabel Dean as Kate's Mother
- Gérard Buhr as Brendel
- Anna Massey as Jennifer Pierce
- Sheila Reid as Gillian Pierce
- Georges Claisse as Dieter
- Kathy Marothy as Dieter's Wife
- Terry Kingley as Georg
- Emilie Lihou as Old Woman
- Alfred Schmidhauser as Martin
The film was a critical and commercial disaster. Zinnemann remarked, "I'm not saying it was a good picture, but there was a degree of viciousness in the reviews. The pleasure some people took in tearing down the film really hurt". He never made another film.
- Maslin, Janet. "New York Times: Five Days One Summer". NY Times. Retrieved July 20, 2008.
- Gritten, David. "A Lion in His Winter : At 85, Fred Zinnemann looks back on a life in film; his anecdote-rich autobiography earns the rave reviews his last movie didn't". LA Times. Retrieved October 5, 2013.
- Five Days One Summer on IMDb
- Five Days One Summer at Box Office Mojo
- Five Days One Summer at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article about a romantic drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|