Five Pagoda Temple (Hohhot)
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Five Pagoda Temple|
|Precious Pagoda of the Buddhist Relics of the Diamond Throne|
Temple of the Five Pagodas in Hohhot
The Five Pagoda Temple (Chinese: 五塔寺; pinyin: Wǔ Tǎ Sì; Mongolian: Tabun suburγan-u süm-e), also known as the "Precious Pagoda of the Buddhist Relics of the Diamond Throne" (Chinese: 金刚座舍利宝塔; pinyin: Jīngāngzuò Shèlì Bǎotǎ), is a Buddhist temple in the city of Hohhot in Inner Mongolia in north-west China. It is located in the older part of the city in the vicinity of Qingcheng Park.
The stupa, which is situated at the northern most part of the temple complex, is surmounted by five pagodas and has 1,563 images of buddhas carved into its walls each one differing slightly from the other. Against the northern wall, outside the stupa, one can find three large stone carvings representing:
- the wheel of life (left),
- a representation of the universe according to Buddhist cosmology (middle), and
- a rare Mongolian cosmological map, which illustrates the zodiac and positions of numerous stars. It is the only such map discovered yet in China from this era.
There are a total of six temples in the style of a "diamond throne pagoda" in China (Five Pagoda Temples). The other five temples are:
- Temple of the Azure Clouds in Beijing
- Yellow Temple in Beijing
- Zhenjue Temple in Beijing
- Miaozhan Temple in Kunming, Yunnan Province
- Guanghui Temple in Zhengding, Hebei Province
- (in French) Charleux, Isabelle, Copies de Bodhgayā en Asie orientale : les stupas de type Wuta à Pékin et Kökeqota (Mongolie-Intérieure), Arts Asiatiques – L’autre en regard, Volume en hommage à Madame Michèle Pirazzoli-t’Serstevens, 61 (2006), p. 120-142 (http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/arasi_0004-3958_2006_num_61_1_1644)
- Dates confirmed in the Temple Culture Exhibition of Hohhot.
- (in French) Charleux, Isabelle.
|This article about a Buddhist place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Chinese religious building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|