Flag of Azad Kashmir
|Use||Civil and state flag|
|Adopted||24 September 1975|
|Design||Green background with four white stripes; a gold canton on the hoist and a star and crescent on the fly|
|Designed by||Abdul Haq Mirza|
The flag of Azad Kashmir (Urdu: پرچم آزاد کشمیر) is a state flag representing the territory of Azad Kashmir. It features a green background, four horizontal white stripes alternating with green, a star and crescent on the upper fly, and a golden canton on the upper hoist.
The flag was adopted on 24 September 1975 via the Azad Jammu and Kashmir State Flag Ordinance, passed by founding President Sardar Muhammad Ibrahim Khan. It was designed by Abdul Haq Mirza, a retired lieutenant-colonel who also created the formation signs of the Azad Kashmir Regular Force.
The flag symbolises various aspects of the state. According to the Azad Kashmir government, the green field represents the region's Muslim majority population; the gold canton represents the religious minorities; the white stripes represent the snow-peaked mountains of the state, and the green stripes alternating with them represent the Valley of Kashmir. The star and crescent is a national icon which also features on Pakistan's flag.
- Watan Hamara Azad Kashmir
- Flag of Jammu and Kashmir
- National flag of Pakistan
- List of Pakistani flags
- "State Flag". Government of Azad Kashmir. 2003. Archived from the original on 2004-03-04. Retrieved 10 August 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Defence and Media. Inter-Services Public Relations. 1991. p. 126.
- Minahan, James (2002). Encyclopedia of the Stateless Nations: D-K. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 955. ISBN 9780313321108.
- "Azad Kashmir (Pakistan)". CRW Flags. 16 April 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- Kaur, Raminder; Hutnyk, John (1999). Travel Worlds: Journeys in Contemporary Cultural Politics. Zed Books. p. 123. ISBN 9781856495622.
- Human Rights in India: Kashmir Under Siege. Human Rights Watch. 1991. p. 59. ISBN 9780300056143.
- Mirza, M. Abdul Haq (1991). The withering chinar. Institute of Policy Studies. p. 176. ISBN 9789694480084.