Flag of Kentucky
|Name||The Bluegrass State|
|Use||Civil and state flag|
|Adopted||March 26, 1918 (standardized 1963)|
|Design||Seal of Kentucky on a field of azure|
|Designed by||Jesse Cox Burgess|
In the early history of states there were many flags representing various affiliations or countries that people came from and settle in the area. The flag was designed by Jesse Cox Burgess, an art teacher in Frankfort, the state capital. The flag was adopted by the Kentucky General Assembly on March 26, 1918.
The seal depicts a pioneer and a statesman embracing. Popular belief claims that the buckskin-clad man on the left is Daniel Boone, who was largely responsible for the exploration of Kentucky, and the man in the suit on the right is Henry Clay, Kentucky's most famous statesman. However, the official explanation is that the men represent all frontiersmen and statesmen, rather than any specific persons.
In 2001, the North American Vexillological Association (NAVA) surveyed its members on the designs of the 72 Canadian provincial, U.S. state, and U.S. territorial flags; Kentucky's flag was ranked 66th.
In 2000, the General Assembly adopted the following pledge of allegiance to the flag of Kentucky:
|“||I pledge allegiance to the Kentucky flag, and to the Sovereign State for which it stands, one Commonwealth, blessed with diversity, natural wealth, beauty, and grace from on High."||”|
- Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Symbols of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Seal of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
- "Kentucky State Flag History".
- Encyclopedia of Kentucky. New York, New York: Somerset Publishers. 1987. ISBN 0-403-09981-1.
- Federal Writers' Project (1996). The WPA Guide to Kentucky. University Press of Kentucky. p. 49. ISBN 0813108659. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- Bryant, Ron (2005-04-21). "The Kentucky State Seal". Kentucky Secretary of State. Archived from the original on 2006-12-29. Retrieved 2007-01-16.
- "2001 State/Provincial Flag Survey - NAVA.org" (PDF). nava.org.
- "2.035 Pledge of allegiance to state flag" (PDF). Legislative Research Commission. 2007-07-14. Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- Kentucky's State Flag (Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives)