Flag of Yucatán
The Flag of Yucatán was the flag used by the former Republic of Yucatán, when in the middle of 19th century it was proclaimed in the territory of the Yucatán Peninsula. The republic comprised the present Mexican states of Yucatán, Campeche and Quintana Roo.
The flag was first flown on March 16, 1841 when it was hoisted on the Ayuntamiento municipal building in the "Plaza Grande" of Mérida, the capital city of the state of Yucatán. This action was a protest against the centralism of Mexican president Antonio López de Santa Anna. The flag was never officially used again by the authorities of Yucatan.
Regarding the historical flag of the Republic of Yucatán, the historian Rodolfo Menéndez de la Peña describes the flag thus
The flag of Yucatán was divided into two parts: green on left, the right, with three divisions, red up and down and white in the middle. In the green field highlighted, five stars, symbolizing the five departments that Yucatan was divided by decree of November 30, 1840: Mérida, Izamal, Valladolid, Tekax and Campeche.
Although never formally recognized, the flag was used throughout the 20th century at ceremonies and festivals of various kinds. The flag's use increased after 2000, after tensions between then governor Víctor Cervera Pacheco and the federal government, and spread rapidly being carried in cars, shirts, posters, etc., as a manifestation of local feeling against the federal government.
Currently, the people from Yucatán use it to express their yucataneidad (pride of being Yucatecan). In 2001 was held in the city of Mérida a commemoration for the 160th anniversary of its first and last official use. On 2010, the flag reappeared at a sports event where then governor Ivonne Ortega Pacheco explained to visiting boxing promoter Don King the meaning of the flag.
- Coat of arms of Mexico
- Territorial evolution of Mexico
- Political divisions of Mexico
- List of Mexican flags
- "Simbolismo de la Bandera de Yucatán". Ayuntamiento de Mérida. Retrieved July 10, 2010.
- Casares G. Cantón, Raúl; Duch Collel, Juan; Zavala Vallado, Slvio; et al. (1998). Yucatán en el tiempo. Mérida,Yucatán.
- 160 aniversario de la Bandera de Yucatán (www.yucatan.com.mx)
- Ramirez, Claudio W. (June 23, 2000). "La bandera yucateca: sentimiento xenofóbico o estrategia politíca". larevista.com.mx. La Revista Peninsular. Archived from the original on October 26, 2007. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- Aniversario de la bandera de Yucatán
- Diario de Yucatán. "Buenos Aires City, anfitrión de un evento al estilo de Las Vegas". Retrieved August 26, 2010.