- Please expand the article by translating the corresponding text in Italian wikipedia
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The art of flag throwing dates back to medieval guilds (principally in Italy, Germany and Flanders). A guild's banner or flag was considered a symbol of purity, and as such it was not allowed to touch the ground.
There are two major categories of flag throwing: classical and acrobatical. In classical flag throwing, the flag is turned left and right around the body in a standing posture. In acrobatical flag throwing, the thrower uses both hands to move the flag in a sitting, laying, or kneeling posture.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sbandieratori.|
- Federazione italiana Sbandieratori The Italian official flag throwing federation.
- Lega italiana Sbandieratori The Italian flag throwing league.
- Flag throwing, on Flags Of The World website.
- SbandierAutori - An italian book on the flag throwers tradition
- Alfieri's "La Bandiera" - Information on Francesco Alfieri's treatise on flag waving, 'La Bandiera', published in 1638
|This culture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|