Flame Tree Publishing
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||London, SW6|
|Distribution||Marston Book Services (UK)|
Simon & Schuster (US)
|Publication types||Books, calendars, ebooks, gift stationery|
|Nonfiction topics||Art, Music, Fiction, Recipes, Lifestyle, computing|
|Fiction genres||Science fiction, horror books and ebooks|
|Imprints||Flame Tree Press (novels, Horror, SF, Fantasy & crime)|
Flame Tree iGuides (ebook non-fiction)
Flame Tree 451 (F & SF ebooks)
Flame Tree Audio (audiobooks)
Flame Tree Publishing is an independent publisher of books, calendars and other stationery items, based in Fulham, London, United Kingdom with an editorial office in New York. It focuses on art, music, lifestyle and fiction categories. Flame Tree creates content in the form of paper printed encyclopedias, guides and practical books and publishes them in different book, gift, stationery and digital markets worldwide. It has a number of license arrangements with museums, galleries and other licensors, including Tate, V&A and The Royal Academy of Arts. The publisher started releasing e-books and launched a new fantasy, crime and science fiction classics imprint called Flame Tree 451. In 2015 Flame Tree launched a range of deluxe Gothic Fantasy titles combining new stories from open submissions and curated classic writing. In 2018 a new trade imprint fiction imprint called Flame Tree Press began to publish new novels in the horror and suspense, sf and fantasy and crime and mystery genres.
Flame Tree was established in 1992 as The Flame Tree Publishing Company, a part-time illustrated art book and gift packaging operation by Founder Nick Wells. In 1995 Wells left HarperCollins Publishers to turn Flame Tree into a full-time business, operating from an office in Chiswick. The company name was changed to The Foundry Creative Media Company Ltd but Flame Tree Publishing was retained as the publishing imprint and brand. Managing Director Frances Bodiam joined in 1996. Wells and Bodiam continue to run the business. In 2012 The company name changed to Flame Tree Publishing Ltd and John Holloran and Ross Clayton of Marston Book Services Ltd invested to provide distribution and accounting services.
In the first few years Flame Tree's main activity was to create a range of packaged books for a series of corporate publishers, including HarperCollins (25 of the original colour reference Collins Gems and two illustrated encyclopedias), Dorling Kindersley (including 16 K.I.S.S. Guides, such as Astrology) and 24 of the then Letts Education's Success Guides to KS3, and GCSE
During this period Flame Tree started to create and sell calendars and greeting cards to retail markets and has exhibited at the Spring Fair and Autumn International Gift Shows at the NEC since 1997.
In 1998, Flame Tree moved into new premises on the borders of Hammersmith and Fulham, close to The River Café (London) and, at that time, a few minutes walk from several other publishers, Virgin Books, HarperCollins and Constable & Robinson. Flame Tree started publishing into the UK and international markets, focusing on art, music, cookery and general reference. Among its first books were Guitar Facts, An Illustrated Guide (ISBN 9781904041726) and Simple Cookery: Wok and Stir Fry (ISBN 9781903817049) both of which demonstrate Flame Tree's method of creating practical content for everyday use. Step-by-step photos continue to be a feature of many of their publications. In 2015 Flame Tree moved to its current premises near the Kings Road in Fulham, by Putney Bridge tube station, coinciding with a greater concentration on art, music and fiction.
Flame Tree exhibits at a number annual trade shows including the London Book Fair, The Spring Fair International Gift Show, Frankfurt Book Fair, BookExpo America. and The Beijing International Bookfair.
Flame Tree's brand The Art of Fine Gifts includes illustrated art books, art calendars and deluxe notebooks featuring licensed and created art by a wide range of modern artists and illustrators such as Josephine Wall, Kerim Beyit, Ann Stokes and Lesley Anne Ivory
In 2019 Flame Tree and the Chinese media giant Phoenix Publishing and Media Group held a signing ceremony at the Beijing International Bookfair for a cooperation venture in the Chinese and English language markets.
Gothic, dark fantasy and science fiction
2015 saw the publication of the first titles in a new range of deluxe edition short story collections which combined new writing from submission calls online, and curated classic writing. Examples include Chilling Ghosts Short Stories, Time Travel Short Stories and Agents & Spies Short Stories.
2018 sees the launch of Flame Tree Press a new trade imprint for novels in genre fiction, mainly horror, sf, dark fantasy and crime. First writers include Bram Stoker Award winner John Everson, Jonathan Janz and Brian Trent, with new writers and novels in translation from China. Ramsey Campbell endorsed the launch of the new list which included the publication of his own Thirteen Days by Sunset Beach.
In 2020 Flame Tree announced a partnership with Compelling Science Fiction magazine, a US publisher of plausible science fiction.
- Guitar Chords (ISBN 9781844513925). Edited by Jake Jackson.
- World Art: The Definitive Illustrated Guide (ISBN 9781844515646). Foreword by Mike O'Mahony.
- Animation Art Author Jerry Beck. Forewords by Jeffrey Katzenberg and Bill Plympton.
- Dragon Art (ISBN 9781847863003). Author Graeme Aymer. Foreword by John Howe.
- Art Deco: The Golden Age of Graphic Art and Design (ISBN 9781847862792). Author: Michael Robinson.
- William Morris: Artist, Craftsman, Pioneer (ISBN 9781847867131). Author: N.M. Wells and R. Ormiston.
- British History, An Illustrated Guide. Editor: Professor Eric J. Evans.
- Kings, Queens, Chiefs & Rulers. Editor: Professor David Loades.
- For the Love of Cupcakes (ISBN 9781847869777). Author: Ann Nicol.
- The Definitive Encyclopedia of Rock (ISBN 9781844515219). Foreword by Scotty Moore.
- Guitar Heroes (ISBN 9781847862181). Foreword by Brian May.
- Led Zeppelin Revealed (ISBN 9781844517336). Author: Jason Draper. Foreword by Paul du Noyer.
- Classical Music Encyclopedia. (ISBN 9781904041719). Edited by Stanley Sadie, Foreword by Vladimir Ashkenazy.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Music. (ISBN 9781904041702). Foreword by Sir George Martin.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Opera. (ISBN 9781844510269). Edited by Stanley Sadie, Foreword by Philip Langridge.
- The Definitive Guitar Handbook. (ISBN 9781847863911). Foreword by Paco Peña.
- The Sorrows (ISBN 9781787580565) by Jonathan Janz 
- The Influence (ISBN 9781787583733) by Ramsey Campbell
Notable calendar ranges
- Erté (Romain de Tirtoff)
- Alphonse Mucha
- Louis Comfort Tiffany
- Gustav Klimt
- Tate calendars and diaries.
- V&A calendars and diaries.
- The British Museum calendars and diaries.
- Angela Harding calendars and diaries
- Interpreting Dreams (ISBN 9781907562419). Author: Adam Fronteras. General Editor: Rashid Ahmad.
- The Songwriters Rhyming Dictionary (ISBN 9781907562143). Author: Jake Jackson.
- World War II (ISBN 9781907562396). Authors: Jon and Diane Sutherland. Introduction: Paul Cornish.
- Animation Art. Author and Editor Jerry Beck.
- "Marston Book Services". Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "catalogues". Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Amazon.co.uk: Tate Flame Tree: Books". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Amazon.co.uk: Tate Flame Tree: Books". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Amazon.co.uk: Royal Academy Flame Tree Publishing: Books". amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Creepy Stories - FLAME TREE 451: SF, Fantasy, Gothic Horror, Crime, Mystery, Adventure & Fantastic Fiction". www.flametree451.com.
- "Flame Tree Press | Fiction Without Frontiers | Horror, Crime, SF & Fantasy". Flame Tree Press.
- Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music: Amazon.co.uk: Vladimir Ashkenazy: 9780004723907: Books. ASIN 0004723902.
- Collins Encyclopedia of the Universe: Amazon.co.uk: Sir Martin, Astronomer Royal Rees, Ian Ridpath: 9780007105854: Books. ASIN 0007105851.
- "GCSE Visual Revision Guide Success MATHEMATICS Higher - eBay". ebay.co.uk. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "404". springfair.com. Retrieved 26 February 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Frankfurt Book Fair -". en.book-fair.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-02-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Beijing Book Fair: Market Opportunities for Everyone".
- Publishing, Flame Tree (23 August 2014). Josephine Wall: Joie de Vivre. Flame Tree Publishing. ASIN 1783611901.
- Studio, Flame Tree (25 April 2013). Beyit: Red Dragon. Flame Tree Publishing. ISBN 978-0857756619.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Anne Stokes: Only Love Remains (Foiled Journal)". Barnes & Noble.
- Depository, Book. "Lesley Anne Ivory: Blossom (Foiled Journal) : Flame Tree Studio : 9781786641595". www.bookdepository.com.
- "Flame Tree in 'pioneering' venture with Chinese giant Phoenix | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "Amazon.com: Chilling Ghost Short Stories (Gothic Fantasy) eBook: Philip Brian Hall, Dr Dale Townshend, Kurt Bachard, Jonathan Balog, Trevor Boelter, Donna Cuttress, Zach Chapman, Vonnie Winslow Crist, Amanda C. Davis, James Dorr, Tim Foley, Philip Brian Hall, Raymond Little, Luke Murphy, Jeff Parsons, Michael Penkas, Brian Rappatta, Rhiannon Rasmussen, M. Regan, Annette Siketa, Cathy Smith, Lesa Pascavis Smith: Kindle Store". www.amazon.com.
- "Time Travel Short Stories by Flame Tree Studio, David Wittenberg - Waterstones". www.waterstones.com.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Agents & Spies Short Stories". Barnes & Noble.
- https://digital.bdslive.com, Website and Design by BDS Digital. "Articles-Title-Detail". www.bookbrunch.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "Compelling Science Fiction Home". compellingsciencefiction.com. Retrieved 2020-01-14.
- "a book review by Toni V. Sweeney: The Sorrows (Fiction Without Frontiers)". www.nyjournalofbooks.com.