Flashdance the Musical
West End poster
|Lyrics||Robbie Roth & Robert Cary|
|Book||Tom Hedley & Robert Cary|
|Productions||2008 UK Tour
2010 West End
2013 US Tour
Flashdance the Musical is a stage adaptation of the 1983 musical film Flashdance. The show had its world premiere in 2008 in Plymouth, followed by a United Kingdom tour through May 2009 and a 16-week London West End run at the Shaftesbury Theatre through January 2011. The musical had a US tour in 2013-2015 but an expected Broadway run was postponed.
Based on the Paramount Pictures film (Screenplay by Tom Hedley and Joe Eszterhas, story by Tom Hedley) the UK production described itself as "an unmistakably unique musical about holding onto your dreams and love against all the odds". The show includes hits "Maniac", "Manhunt", "Gloria", the award-winning title track "Flashdance – What a Feeling".
2008 Uk tour
The 2008-09 UK tour was directed by Kenny Leon and choreographed by Arlene Phillips, with a book by Tom Hadly & Robert Cary, music by Robbie Roth and lyrics by Robbie Roth and Robert Cary. The UK touring production's cast included Victoria Hamilton-Barritt as Alex Owens, Noel Sullivan as Nick Hurley, Bernie Nolan as Hannah Owens and Bruno Langley as Jimmy Kaminsky.
2010 West End
The 2010 West End production ran at the Shaftesbury Theatre through January 2011. Produced by David Ian, the show was directed by Nikolai Foster and choreographed by Phillips. The cast featured Victoria Hamilton-Barritt as Alex Owens, Matt Willis as Nick Hurley, Sarah Ingram as Hannah Owens and Sam Mackay as Jimmy Kaminsky.
Previews were due to begin on Friday 24 September 2010, postponed by technical difficulties to the following day. The production closed earlier than planned on 15 January 2011.
2013-2015 US tour
There had been discussion of a Broadway production. In December 2011, reports emerged stating a re-working of the London production would premiere on Broadway in "fall 2012". However, as of March 2012, the official website was showing a single page with a reworked logo and the tag line "Coming to a city near you" and a confirmed engagement for the tour to visit Pittsburgh's Heinz Hall (the city where the production is set) from January 1 to 6, 2013. It was later announced that after the tour, Flashdance the Musical would transfer to Broadway in August 2013. However, the producers announced in April 2013 that the August opening of Flashdance on Broadway would be postponed. The producers said that the postponement was due to a lack of theatres in the fall and too many subplots.
|Character||Original UK Tour Cast||Original West End Cast|
|Alex Owens||Victoria Hamilton-Barritt||Victoria Hamilton-Barritt|
|Nick Hurley||Noel Sullivan||Matt Willis|
|Hannah Owens||Bernie Nolan||Sarah Ingram|
|Jimmy Kaminsky||Bruno Langley||Sam Mackay|
|Gloria||Ruthie Stevens||Charlotte Harwood|
|Jazmin||Djalenja Scott||Twinnie Lee Moore|
|Keisha||Carryl Thomas||Hannah Levane|
|Abe||Michael Conway||Brendan Cull|
|Harry||Gavin Spokes||Russell Dixon|
|Joe||Gavin Spokes||Russell Dixon|
|Dr Kool||Simon Harvey||Ricky Rojas|
|Sammy||Simon Harvey||Andrew Spillett|
|CC||Michael Conway||Robbie White|
Differences between stage and film
- The film's characters Jeanie and Tina Tech have been combined to create Gloria.
- Instead of the Zanzibar being a strip club it's now a club with no nudity - just pole dancing.
- The character of Richie Blazik is cut and the character Jimmy Kaminsky is substituted, however the two characters have very little in common.
- The substory in which Alex and Nick break up because Alex believes he's cheating on her is missing from the stage show.
- All the "Flashdancer's" solos are cut, minus Alex's famous chair dance. However this is moved to the end of act one for ease of changing and clean up.
- Songs from the film that are used in the show are used in a different context. For instance Manhunt is no longer used for a solo dance piece it is sung over a montage of Nick and Alex on a series of dates. Another example is Gloria. In the film this is used during Jeanie's ice skating solo, however in the show it is used when Gloria performs in the strip club. However "What a Feeling" is still used for Alex's audition.
- In the film Nick convinces Alex to go to her audition, in the stage show her friends convince her and accompany her to the audition.
- Nathan, John. " 'Flashdance' Musical to Make World Premiere in U.K. in July" playbill.com, February 12, 2008
-  londontheatredirect.com
-  pittsburghlive.com
- " 'Flashdance' National Tour Will Launch in Pittsburgh" pittsburgh.broadway.com, January 20, 2012
- Hofler, Robert. Legit Review: ‘Flashdance the Musical’ Variety, May 13, 2013
- FLASHDANCE THE MUSICAL Coming to Broadway in Fall 2012
- 'Flashdance' and 'War Horse' lead Broadway parade to Pittsburgh
- Flashdance — The Musical Will Arrive on Broadway in August 2013
- Hetrick, Adam and Jones, Kenneth. "Hold the Water! 'Flashdance — The Musica'l Will Not Arrive on Broadway This Summer" playbill.com, April 23, 2013