"Flashes" is a 1931 jazz composition for solo piano by cornetist Bix Beiderbecke. The song is the third work in a series of four compositions for piano composed by Bix Beiderbecke during his career.
Bix Beiderbecke did not record the song himself but copyrighted the composition on April 18, 1931, along with "In the Dark", also a piano work, as "A Modern Composition for the Piano". Bill Challis assisted with the transcription for piano. "Flashes was recorded by jazz pianist Jess Stacy on November 15, 1935. Jazz trumpeter Bunny Berigan recorded the song in 1939 and released it as a 78 single on RCA Victor, 26121-A. In 2010, pianist Bryan Wright recorded the work on piano along with the three other piano compositions by Bix Beiderbecke, "In a Mist", "Candlelight", and "In the Dark".
The composition has been recorded by Jess Stacy, Bunny Berigan, Ry Cooder, Dick Hyman, Patrick Artero in 2006, Bernd Lhotzky, Bryan Wright, Dill Jones, jazz guitarist Bucky Pizzarelli on his 1986 Stash album Solo Flight, Geff Muldaur in 2003, Helmut Nieberle in 2005, and Tony Caramia on the 2005 album Zebra Stripes.
- Bix Beiderbecke: Bix Restored, Vol. 1, Origin Records, 1995
- Bix Beiderbecke: In a Mist: His Best Works, Definitive Classics, 2007
- Geoff Muldaur: Geoff Muldaur's Futuristic Ensemble: Private Astronomy: A Vision of the Music of Bix Beiderbecke, Shefa, 2003
- Berton, Ralph. Remembering Bix. Harper & Row, 1974.
- Castelli, Vittorio, Evert (Ted) Kaleveld, and Liborio Pusateri. The Bix Bands: A Bix Beiderbecke Disco-biography. Raretone, Milan, 1972.
- Collins, David R. Bix Beiderbecke: Jazz Age Genius. Morgan Reynolds, Inc., Greensboro, North Carolina, 1998.
- Evans, Philip R. and Linda K. Evans. Bix: The Leon Bix Beiderbecke Story. Bakersfield, Calif.: Prelike Press, 1998. ISBN 0-9665448-0-3.
- Lastella, Aldo. "La vita e la leggenda di Bix Beiderbecke". Nuovi Equilibri S.R.L., Roma, 1991.