Flavio Manzoni (born 7 January 1965 in Nuoro, Sardinia) is an Italian architect and automobile designer of supercars and road cars, who has worked at various companies such as Ferrari, Lancia, Volkswagen, and SEAT. He is the Senior Vice President of Design at Ferrari.
Manzoni studied Architecture at University of Florence, specializing in industrial design. In 1993 he joined the Centro Stile Lancia, and three years later he was made responsible for Interior Design of the marque. He worked on various projects such as the interiors of the Lancia Dialogos and the Maserati 3200 GT. In 1999, he moved to Barcelona to become Interior Design Director at SEAT, and working in the interiors of the production cars SEAT Altea and SEAT León, and the concept cars SEAT Salsa and SEAT Tango.
In 2001 Manzoni returned to Lancia and was appointed Design Director. He took charge of the concept cars Lancia Granturismo, Lancia Granturismo Stilnovo and Lancia Fulvia Coupè Concept, great success at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 2003, and the production cars Lancia Ypsilon and Lancia Musa, winning the '"European Automotive Design Award" in 2003.
2006 saw a return to the VW group, Manzoni was appointed Director of Creative Design Volkswagen, where he designed the Volkswagen Golf Mk6 and he has defined the new vision of the Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti. Flavio Manzoni has created the concepts of the VW Up!, Space Up!, Space Up! Blue, e-Up! and the VW BlueSport roadster. Amongst the production cars, alongside Walter de Silva, he has designed the recent generation of VW cars.
In January 2010 Manzoni was appointed Senior Vice President of Design at Ferrari, with the task of reworking the identity for the Italian brand. As design director, he has been leading the style center team to develop the concept of the Ferrari FF and LaFerrari, then he presented at Paris Motor Show the roadster Ferrari SA Aperta, and the F12 Berlinetta at the Geneva Motor Show in 2012.
With his team he is carrying on the project of the “New Ferrari Style Center” in the production site of Ferrari S.p.A. based in Maranello (Modena). Each one of the four floors of this new elegant building is dedicated to the different stages of the planning of design projects.
Cars designed by Manzoni:
- Lancia Dialogos (1998)
- Maserati 3200 GT (1998)
- SEAT Tango (2001)
- Lancia Granturismo Stilnovo Concept (2003)
- Lancia Fulvia Coupé (2003)
- Lancia Ypsilon (2003)
- Lancia Musa (2004)
- Volkswagen Scirocco
- Volkswagen BlueSport Concept
- Volkswagen Golf VI
- Volkswagen Golf VII
- Ferrari 599 SA Aperta (2010)
- Ferrari FF (2011)
- Ferrari SP30 (2012) (One off)
- Ferrari F12berlinetta (2012)
- Ferrari 458 Speciale (2013)
- Ferrari LaFerrari (2013)
- Ferrari California T (2014)
- Ferrari F12 TRS (One off) (2014)
- Ferrari FXX K (2015)
- Ferrari 488 (2015)
- Ferrari 488 Spider (2015)
- Ferrari GTC4Lusso (2016)
- Ferrari F12tdf (2016) (One off)
- Ferrari J50 (2016)
- Ferrari SP275RW (2016) (One off)
- Ferrari Portofino (2017)
- Ferrari FXX K Evo (2017)
- Ferrari 488 Pista (2018)
- Ferrari SP38 (2018)
- Ferrari 488 Pista Spider (2018)
- Ferrari Monza SP1 (2019)
- Ferrari Monza SP2 (2019)
In May 2014 he received the Compasso d'Oro, the oldest and most recognized award in the industrial design field, for the design of F12berlinetta. In December 2014 on Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, the FXXK was presented as the most powerful Ferrari ever. Although partially based on the very first hybrid car produced in Maranello, LaFerrari, the FXXK is in fact a completely new car.
The Red Dot Awards were awarded to the GTC4Lusso, 458MM Speciale, La Ferrari
In May 2018 Flavio Manzoni received the design award for concept cars & prototypes at the Concorso d’Eleganza di Villa d’Este for the Ferrari SP38
- "The new Lancia Fulvia - yes please!". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Articolo su automobilismo.it
- "Flavio Manzoni Full Bio". Born. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- "Flavio Manzoni to Head Ferrari Design". www.cardesignnews.com. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "The designer of record". www.wsj.com/. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Our Exclusive Look at Ferrari's New Centro Stile and the Monza SP1 and SP2 - COOL HUNTING". COOL HUNTING. 2018-09-18. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "Flavio Manzoni to visit Sydney for Vivid Ideas". whitehavenmotoryachts.com.au. Archived from the original on 30 June 2016. Retrieved 19 July 2016.
- "Design award honours Kia and Ferrari with Red Dot: Best of the Best". en.red-dot.org. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "The Ferrari GTC4Lusso Wins the "Most Beautiful Supercar of the Year" | Ferrari.com". Ferrari GT - en-EN. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Red Dot Award 2017 best of the best". Red Dot Award. Retrieved 8 March 2018.