Flaws and All
|"Flaws and All"|
|Song by Beyoncé from the album B’Day Deluxe Edition|
|Recorded||Roc the Mic, New York City|
|B’Day Deluxe Edition track listing|
"Flaws and All" is a song by American recording artist Beyoncé, included on the 2007 deluxe edition of her second studio album, B'Day (2006). It was composed by Ne-Yo, Shea Taylor, Beyoncé and Solange Knowles, while Beyoncé Knowles and Taylor produced it. In the R&B song, Beyoncé shows appreciation for the love given by her man, who sees through all of her flaws and loves her unconditionally. "Flaws and All" received positive reviews from critics, who lauded Beyoncé's emotion and vulnerability on the track. Some critics also noted that the song was better than some of the songs on the standard edition of B'Day.
The music video was directed by Cliff Watts and Beyoncé for B'Day Anthology Video Album (2007). It features clips of a B'Day promotional ad by Wal-Mart pieced together, in which Beyoncé does not lip-sync the words of the song, but instead acts as if it were an everyday scenario. Beyoncé explained the concept for the video was to show a different side to her, that the paparazzi does not show and that fans would not normally see. Beyoncé performed "Flaws and All" on The Beyoncé Experience (2007), and the song was included on the live album The Beyoncé Experience Live (2007). It was also sung live on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in 2008 and during Beyoncé's show Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live in May 2012.
"Flaws and All" was written by Ne-Yo, Shea Taylor, Beyoncé Knowles and her sister Solange Knowles. The R&B song was produced by Beyoncé Knowles and Taylor, and mixed by Jean-Marie Horvat at Oz Recording Studios, Valencia, California. "Flaws and All" was recorded by Jim Caruana, Shane Woodley and Robert "LB" Dorsey at Roc the Mic studio, New York City. Although the song was originally included on the re-release of B'Day, it was additionally included on compilation albums. In 2007 the song was included on Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? soundtrack. In 2008, Beyoncé released the song on a compilation album dedicated to karaoke performances titled Beyoncé Karaoke Hits, Vol. I. Author Latrice Gleen references the song in a memoir titled My Life's Journey (2010).
A 25-second sample of "Flaws and All" in which critics praised Knowles' vocal vulnerability in the song.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Chris Willman of Entertainment Weekly named the song as his favorite addition to the deluxe edition of B'Day, stating, "Better is 'Flaws and All', a ballad in which B[eyoncé] expresses melismatic gratitude that workaholic bitches (her words!) merit love too." Rory Dollard of Metro also wrote that the song was better than some of the tracks on the original track listing of B'Day. While reviewing the deluxe edition of B'Day, Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine praised the song, calling it a "surprise gem [which] sound[s] downright subtle". BET included the song in its list of the "Top 10 Feel Good R&B Songs", ranked at number nine. Discussing their choice, they stated "'Flaws and All' ... revealed Beyoncé at her most vulnerable. The song showed that even a superstar can struggle with insecurities and be in need of someone to love her." Bobby Reed of Chicago Sun-Times noted that the lyrics could also refer to "the way fans worship Beyonce". Anthony Venutolo of New Jersey On-Line noted that the song talks about true love. Destiny's Child bandmate Kelly Rowland discussed the track during Billboard's "Woman of the Year" spread for Beyoncé. She stated "Beyoncé is a true artist who brings it every time. My favorite song will always be 'Flaws and All.' So much feeling, so beautiful; her voice sounds amazing."
|Well, I am a little silly, I am a little goofy, and it's great. There are a lot of things I keep to myself, because that's the only way you keep your sanity. This [video] is the way my family sees me, it's me being who I really am. It's been 10 years, and it's time for people to see that side of me. It's not about glamour, not about celebrity, not about being a diva — it's about someone loving you for you.|
—Beyoncé Beyoncé, Beyoncé: Behind the B'Day Music Videos
The music video for "Flaws and All" was directed by Cliff Watts and Beyoncé. The video for the song was shot on inexpensive Super 8 film during the two-week filiming for the B'Day Anthology Video Album (2007). Critics have noted that Beyoncé emulates Marilyn Monroe, Brigitte Bardot and Barbra Streisand throughout the clip. During an interview with MTV on a "Beyoncé: Behind the B'Day Music Videos", MTV commented on Beyoncé's appearance in the music video stating that she acts like "a goofball" and "it also feels like we get to see the real [her]." Beyoncé replied, "I'm way different in my everyday life. My personal life and my celebrity life — I've separated them so much it's like two different people. But I'm pretty balanced. I'm over the top and I'm natural."
In an interview with Vibe, Beyoncé explained that the concept for the video in depth after being questioned as an "everyday woman." "I don't sing any of the song. The whole time it's like a silent movie and I'm being myself. I'm not performing. I reveal a side of myself no one's ever seen. I'm silly and goofy and not...trying to be a diva, or trying to be a star – just me." The video features a black and white theme and a grainy film texture. Beyoncé does not lip-sync the lyrics but acts out parts of the song and poses. Several of the scenes used in the video had been shot in 2006 for a B'Day promotional ad by Wal-Mart.
Beyoncé performed the song on multiple occasions, including the song as part of her set list on The Beyoncé Experience (2007). Beyoncé cried during the performance, and was then embraced by a male dancer dressed as an angel. Chris Willman of Entertainment Weekly praised Beyoncé's performance of the song stating "The true defibrillator moment, all freakum dress changes aside, is 'Flaws and All', during which Beyoncé weeps real tears (nightly, according to reports from earlier overseas shows) while apologizing for being such a bitch. That's a rare campy, melodramatic performance in an otherwise energized two hours." The performance also caught the attention of The New York Times writer Jon Pareles who stated, "Along the way the concert was a showcase for her consistently expanding music, from the kinetic dance beats of songs like 'Get Me Bodied' to dramatic ballads like 'Flaws and All', which Beyoncé sang wide-eyed in a video close-up." J. Freedom du Lac of The Washington Post wrote that during the performance she was offering a "litany of her own 'imperfections' that her lover embraces unconditionally". John Aizlewood from the Daily Mail criticized the angel embrace at the end of the "Flaws and All" performance as being the weakest part of The Beyoncé Experience set. A writer of The Times also gave a mixed review for the performance of the song, saying that "Her attempt at an introspective ballad, Flaws and All, was less convincing." Anthony Venutolo of New Jersey On-Line wrote that the performance was "silly". The performance of the song in Los Angeles on September 2, 2007 was taped and included on The Beyoncé Experience Live. The performance of the song was also shown independently at MTV.com and was released via digital download at the iTunes Store on November 19, 2007.
Beyoncé performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on November 25, 2008 while promoting her third album I Am... Sasha Fierce. In May, 2012, she performed "Flaws and All" as a part of her revue show Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live in Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States' entertainment resort, hotel, casino and spa, Revel. While reviewing the show, Ben Ratliff of The New York Times wrote, "She has a fast-reacting face, and opens her eyes wide to look astonished, touched, or grateful. (She did this especially during 'Flaws and All,' which she dedicated to her fans: 'I don't know why you love me/And that's why I love you.')" A writer for Vibe magazine listed the performance of the song in the five notable moments from the concerts, saying that Beyoncé "had the camera zoom in on her face the whole time, showing the crowd her own 'flaws,' allowing the crowd to connect to her". "Flaws and All" was also included on the live album Live in Atlantic City (2013) which was filmed during the revue. In 2013, Beyoncé added the song to the set list of her worldwide The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. During the performance she dedicated the song to her fans, the BeyHive.
Credits and personnel
Credits are taken from B'Day Deluxe Edition liner notes.
- "Still in Love (Kissing You)" was only present on initial pressings of B'Day Deluxe Edition; it was replaced by "If" on later copies.
- B'Day (Deluxe Edition). Beyoncé Knowles. Sony Music BMG Entertainment. 2007.
- "10 Feel Good R&B Songs". Black Entertainment Television. Archived from the original on April 15, 2011. Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- "Beyonce reissue details announced". NME. IPC Media. February 15, 2007. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Beyoncé to Release Deluxe Edition of B'Day". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. February 20, 2007. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? (Music from and Inspired By the Motion Picture)". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Beyoncé Karaoke Hits, Vol. I Beyoncé". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Gleen, Latrice (July 2, 2010). My Life's Journey. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse. p. 5. ISBN 978-1-4520-4590-0.
- Chris Willman (March 30, 2007). "B'Day: Deluxe Edition (2007)". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Dollard, Rory. "Albums of the week". Metro. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Cinquemani, Sal (April 7, 2007). "Upgrade B". Slant Magazine. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Reed, Bobby (August 20, 2007). "Beyonce At the United Center" (Payment required). Chicago Sun-Times. Sun-Times Media Group. p. 45. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Venutolo, Anthony (August 5, 2007). "Beyonce bedazzles". New Jersey On-Line. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Beyoncé's Fans". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. 121 (40): 28. October 10, 2009. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Jennifer Vineyard. "Beyonce: Behind The B'Day Videos". MTV News. MTV Networks. p. 1. Archived from the original on January 31, 2012. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Flaws and All". MTV. MTV Networks. March 28, 2007. Retrieved April 8, 2011.
- Jennifer Vineyard. "Beyonce: Behind The B'Day Videos". MTV News. MTV Networks. p. 3. Archived from the original on June 24, 2011. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Video: Beyoncé - "Flaws and All"". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. March 30, 2007. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Jennifer Vineyard. "Beyonce: Behind The B'Day Videos". MTV News. MTV Networks. p. 2. Archived from the original on December 14, 2007. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Cliff Watts (March 16, 2007). "Get To Poppin'". Vibe. InterMedia Partners. p. 29. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Beyoncé – Flaws and All (deleted scenes)". Nuts. IPC Media. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Schmeichel, David (September 15, 2007). "Beyonce - Concert Review: MTS Centre, Winnipeg". Jam!. Sun Media. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Rodman, Sarah (August 13, 2007). "Beyonce lights up the Garden". The Boston Globe. The New York Times Company. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Aizlewood, John (June 8, 2007). "A night with bold Beyonce". Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved July 17, 2011.
- Chris Willman (July 13, 2007). "The Beyonce Experience". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Jon Pareles (August 6, 2007). "Romance as a Struggle That She Will Win". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Freedom du Lac, J. (August 11, 2007). "A Blast of Beyonce". The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company. Retrieved June 28, 2011.
- "Beyonce live reviews". The Times. News Corporation. June 4, 2007. ISSN 0140-0460.
- Deming, Mark. "The Beyoncé Experience: Live". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Beyoncé to Release 'Live!' DVD". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. October 22, 2007. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Beyoncé – "Flaws and All (Live)"". MTV. MTV Networks. November 27, 2007. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Flaws and All (Live)". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- "Video: Beyonce on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show'". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. November 25, 2008. Retrieved January 29, 2011.
- Johnston, Maura (May 27, 2012). "Live: Beyoncé Brings The House Down At Atlantic City's Newest Casino". The Village Voice. Village Voice Media. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Sheridan, Emily (May 26, 2012). "'Feels so good to be back home on stage': Beyonce shows off her post-baby curves as she performs for first time since Blue's birth". Daily Mail. Associated Newspapers. Archived from the original on May 28, 2012. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- Ratliff, Ben (May 26, 2012). "Beyoncé: Coming Back and Catching Up, Then Conquering". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "5 Notable Moments from Beyonce's Revel Concert". Vibe. InterMedia Partners. May 29, 2012. Retrieved June 4, 2012.
- "Beyoncé - Life is But a Dream [DVD + UV Copy]". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 5, 2013.
- Corner, Lewis (April 16, 2013). "Beyoncé begins 'Mrs Carter Show' world tour, no new songs performed". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi Médias. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- "Beyoncé makes nod to The Verve at London's O2 Arena". NME. IPC Media. April 30, 2013. Archived from the original on May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- "Beyoncé Thanks Fans for Support at Belgium Show [Video]". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.