Benton Township, Monroe County, Indiana
Honey Creek School, a historic site in the township
Location in Monroe County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||56.61 sq mi (146.6 km2)|
|• Land||54.92 sq mi (142.2 km2)|
|• Water||1.69 sq mi (4.4 km2) 2.99%|
|Elevation||797 ft (243 m)|
|• Density||61.1/sq mi (23.6/km2)|
|ZIP codes||46151, 47401, 47408, 47468|
|GNIS feature ID||0453106|
Benton Township was established in 1833. It was named for Thomas Hart Benton, a U.S. Senator from Missouri. Benton township was divided into Marion township to the north and Benton township to the south in August 1845. The current township was formed in January 1916 when Marion township and Benton township merged back together to form a single township.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 56.61 square miles (146.6 km2), of which 54.92 square miles (142.2 km2) (or 97.01%) is land and 1.69 square miles (4.4 km2) (or 2.99%) is water.
The township trustee is responsible for four cemeteries: Fleener/Richardson, Stepp, Brock, and Taylor/McGowan/Frye.
- Beanblossom Lake
- Cherry Lake
- Lazy Lake
- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- Indiana's 9th congressional district
- State House District 60
- State Senate District 40
- "Benton Township, Monroe County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- History of Lawrence and Monroe Counties, Indiana: Their People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. 1914. p. 404.
- Blanchard, Charles (1884). Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. F.A. Battey & Company. p. 531.
- [https://timeline.mcpl.info/textonly.php Monroe County Timeline
- Community: Benton Township Volunteer Fire Department
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Indiana Township Association
- United Township Association of Indiana
- City-Data.com page for Benton Township
||Washington Township||Washington Township, Morgan County|
|Bloomington Township||Jackson Township, Brown County|
|Perry Township||Salt Creek Township||Washington Township, Brown County|