Church of St Mary Magdalene, Fleet
|Fleet shown within Lincolnshire|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||85 mi (137 km) S|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Fleet is a village, civil parish and electoral ward in the South Holland district of Lincolnshire, England. It lies on Delph Bank, 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east from Holbeach. The population of the civil parish, including Fleet Hargate, at the 2011 census was 2136.
In 1086, Fleet was listed as Fleot (Old English: the stream, estuary or creek), in the wapentake of Elloe in the Parts of Holland of Lincolnshire. Fleet Grade I listed Anglican church, dating from the late 12th century, is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. The 120 feet (37 m) church tower with spire is detached from the nave by 15 feet (4.6 m). The fabric is mainly Decorated in style, with Early English arcades and a Perpendicular west window. According to Cox (1916), the church was restored in 1860, when the chancel was rebuilt, although the canopied sedilia was retained. In 1964 Pevsner noted 1798 repairs and considered the church "over-restored". He dated a chancel rebuild to 1843, questioned if it was "done correctly", and recorded Victorian tracery in the aisle windows, a blocked doorway to a previous chapel in the chancel, "fine busts of great variety", a Decorated-style sedilia and piscina with ogee arches and crocketed gables, a reredos dated 1790, and a defaced 14th-century effigy.
Pevsner also recorded an 1854 red-brick rectory designed by Benjamin Ferrey, and a motte south-west of the village where 11th- and 12th-century pottery has been found. The English Heritage record for the now ploughed-down motte site details finds from the Iron Age to the 18th century.
- "Parish/Ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- Open Domesday Online: Fleet, Lincolnshire
- Historic England. "Church of St Mary Magdalene (1146568)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Cox, J. Charles (1916) Lincolnshire pp. 126, 127; Methuen & Co. Ltd
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire with the port of Hull 1885, p. 394
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Harris, John; The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire p. 526, 527; Penguin, (1964); revised by Nicholas Antram (1989), Yale University Press. ISBN 0300096208
- Historic England. "Monument No. 353734". PastScape. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- Site of motte, south-west of Fleet