Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Ministry of Defence|
|Member of||Admiralty Board, Navy Board, Navy Command|
|Reports to||First Sea Lord|
|Nominator||Secretary of State for Defence|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–4 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Admiral George Zambellas|
The Fleet Commander is a senior Royal Navy post, responsible for the operation, resourcing and training of the ships, submarines and aircraft, and personnel, of the Naval Service. The remit of the position is to provide ships, submarines and aircraft ready for operations and is based at Navy Command Headquarters. The British Army equivalent is Commander Field Army. The RAF's Deputy Commander (Operations) is the close equivalent of the two positions.
The Fleet Commander's purpose is to provide ships, submarines and aircraft ready for any operations that the Government requires.
List of Fleet Commanders
Fleet Commander and Deputy Chief of Naval Staff
- April–December 2012: Admiral Sir George Zambellas
- December 2012 – February 2016: Vice Admiral Sir Philip Jones
Fleet Commander and Chief Naval Warfare Officer
Deputy Fleet Commander
Major subordinates of the Fleet Commander
- Commander Operations
- Office of the Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (Ships)
- Commander United Kingdom Maritime Forces
- Commander UK Amphibious Forces/Commandant General Royal Marines
- Air Command senior, as of September 2012
- Navy Board
- "Navy Command senior, as of March 2014". Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- Ups and outs: October 2012 Defence Viewpoints
- "Royal Navy appoints new Fleet Commander". Royal Navy. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Royal Navy Appoints New Senior Officers". Forces.net. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Royal Navy’s Deputy Fleet Commander Visits UK Hydrographic Office Subsea World News, 30 July 2012
- Navy senior staff, March 2013
- "Ministry of Defence Organogram". data.gov.uk. MOD 31 March 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Royal Navy Directory 2017" (PDF). Royal Navy. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Navy Command senior, as of April 2017 - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. MOD UK. 30 April 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.