|Ministry of Defence|
|Member of||Admiralty Board, Navy Board, Navy Command|
|Reports to||First Sea Lord|
|Nominator||Secretary of State for Defence|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–4 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Admiral George Zambellas|
The Fleet Commander is a senior Royal Navy post, responsible for the operation, resourcing and training of the ships, submarines and aircraft, and personnel, of the Naval Service. The Vice-Admiral incumbent is required to provide ships, submarines and aircraft ready for operations, and is based at Navy Command Headquarters.
The Fleet Commander's purpose is to provide ships, submarines and aircraft ready for any operations that the Government requires.
- Commander Operations
- Commander United Kingdom Strike Force
- Director Force Generation
- Commandant General Royal Marines
List of Fleet Commanders
|Fleet Commander and Deputy Chief of Naval Staff|
|Image||Rank||Name||Term began||Term ended|
|Admiral||Sir George Zambellas||April 2012||December 2012|
|Vice Admiral||Sir Philip Jones||December 2012||February 2016|
|Fleet Commander and Chief Naval Warfare Officer|
|Vice Admiral||Ben Key||February 2016||March 2019|
|Vice Admiral||Jerry Kyd||March 2019|
Deputy Fleet Commander
- Navy Board
- "Ministry of Defence Organogram". data.gov.uk. MOD 31 March 2016. Archived from the original on 8 August 2017. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Royal Navy Directory 2017" (PDF). Royal Navy. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "How Defence Works Version 6.0 Sep2020" (PDF). assets.publishing.service.gov.uk. UK MOD. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 3 November 2020.
- "Freedom of Information Response" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 17 December 2020.
- "Navy Command senior, as of April 2017 - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. MOD UK. 30 April 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Who is the new Flag Officer Sea Training" (PDF). whatdotheyknow.com. Whatdotheyknow. 27 April 2020. Retrieved 28 April 2020.
In response to your request, I can advise you that the title Flag Officer Sea Training will cease to exist on 1 May 2020 and is replaced by the 1* post of Commander Fleet Operational Sea Training
- Air Command senior, as of September 2012
- "Navy Command senior, as of March 2014". Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- Ups and outs: October 2012 Defence Viewpoints
- "Royal Navy appoints new Fleet Commander". Royal Navy. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Royal Navy Appoints New Senior Officers". Forces.net. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Royal Navy’s Deputy Fleet Commander Visits UK Hydrographic Office Subsea World News, 30 July 2012
- Navy senior staff, March 2013