Flemington Bridge railway station
Northbound view from Platform 2
|Location||Boundary Road, North Melbourne
|Distance||4.06 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||10 April 1885|
Flemington Bridge railway station is located on the Upfield line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the northern Melbourne suburb of North Melbourne, and opened on 10 April 1885 as Flemington. It was renamed Flemington Bridge on 3 December 1885.
In 1891, the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Railways recommended the construction of a spur line from Flemington Bridge to Pascoe Vale station, to relieve crowding on the Essendon line at peak times, as well as providing a shorter alternative route to the city, following the route of what is now CityLink. The committee estimated the single track line would cost £93,000 to build, but recommended that only £30,000 be spent, with the remainder to be made up by donated land. However, the proposal was not taken up by government.
The current station building, with an asbestos cement roof, was provided in 1944, and at the same time, the stairs were replaced by asphalted ramps.
During CityLink construction in 1997, a temporary crossover was provided near the Mount Alexander Road bridge, to allow Upfield line trains to terminate, with passengers shuttled by bus to Newmarket, to continue their journey. This was to allow construction of the elevated road between Flemington Bridge and North Melbourne.
Platforms & services
Dyson's Bus Services operates one route via Flemington Bridge station:
Yarra Trams operates two routes via Flemington Bridge station:
- 57: West Maribyrnong to Elizabeth Street CBD
- 59: Westfield Airport West to Elizabeth Street CBD
- Flemington Bridge Vicsig
- Jon Saul and Wendy Moore (May 1990). Down the line to Upfield. Coburg Public Transport Group.
- Waugh, Andrew. "VR History by Andrew Waugh - Upfield Line" (PDF). VR History.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Upfield Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 951 City - Glenroy timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 57 West Maribyrnong - City Elizabeth St timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 59 Airport West - City Elizabeth St timetable Public Transport Victoria