Flesh Without Blood
|"Flesh Without Blood"|
|Single by Grimes|
|from the album Art Angels|
|Released||October 26, 2015|
|Grimes singles chronology|
"Flesh Without Blood" is a song by Canadian singer, songwriter and music producer Grimes, released on October 26, 2015 as the lead single from her fourth studio album, Art Angels (2015). The same day, Grimes released the "Flesh Without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream" video to YouTube, a double music video featuring "Flesh Without Blood" and "Life in the Vivid Dream", another song on Art Angels.
Grimes revealed via her Twitter account that "Flesh Without Blood" is a song about a Platonic friendship she had with a woman. Grimes noted how, prior to stating her authorial intent, the press had assumed that the song was about a heterosexual relationship. She saw this as an example of how "the press genders my lyrics" and said that she no longer writes songs about love. She also described it as a song about "being really disappointed with someone who you really once truly admired".
Billboard ranked "Flesh Without Blood" at number 15 on its year-end list for 2015: "There were several otherworldly pop bangers on Grimes' Art Angels, but we're glad she decided to let this stratospheric kiss-off kick off the album cycle. The artist named Claire Boucher [Grimes' birth name] kept us guessing in the album's long gestation period, sharing "Go," an EDM banger she'd written for Rihanna, and then admitting she'd scrapped an entire album's worth of material. In the end, she delivered the pop some of her fans were craving, without sacrificing the weirdness that made her a cult star. "Flesh Without Blood" is that in a nutshell––a sky-scraping hook pulled out of unintelligible vocals, served over an underbelly of humming guitar."
Rolling Stone ranked "Flesh Without Blood" at number 15 on their year-end list of the 50 best songs of 2015. The Village Voice ranked "Flesh Without Blood" at number 12 on their annual year-end critic's poll. Time named "Flesh without Blood" the best song of 2015. Pitchfork Media named "Flesh Without Blood" the 7th best song and 18th best music video of 2015. The song also came in at #71 on the annual Triple J Hottest 100 for 2015.
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||84|
|Canada Rock (Billboard)||46|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||27|
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||18|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||23|
- Hazel Cills. "Grimes: Flesh without Blood". Pitchfork.
- Lizzie Plaugic. "Review: On Art Angels, Grimes gives us every version of herself". The Verge.
- Geslani, Michelle (October 26, 2015). "Grimes premieres new song "Flesh Without Blood" and video — watch". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Breihan, Tom (August 5, 2016). "Grimes Shares Letter About Misinterpretations Of Her Suicide Squad Song". Stereogum. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "100 Best Songs of 2015". Pitchfork Media. December 14, 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- "Billboard 25 Best Songs of 2015: Critics' Picks". Billboard.com.
- "50 Best Songs of 2015". rollingstone.com.
- "Pazz & Jop Statistics". The Village Voice. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
- "Best Songs of 2015". Time. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Best Music Videos of 2015". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Ultratop.be – Grimes – Flesh Without Blood" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- "Grimes Chart History (Canada Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Grimes Chart History (Hot Dance/Electronic Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Grimes Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
|This 2010s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|