A Flexity 2 on the Gold Coast, September 2014.
|Train length||See table|
|Power output||See table|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge or 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
The Flexity 2 is a family of tram or light-rail vehicle manufactured by Bombardier Transportation. It is 100% low-floor, in order to easily accommodate wheelchairs and pushchairs. The trams are bi-directional, with cabs at both ends and doors on both sides, and are articulated with five sections. This family of trams debuted on the Blackpool Tramway, England.
The Flexity 2 is a development of Bombardier's successful Flexity family of LRVs and is designed to be highly customisable. It incorporates a number of significant advances over its predecessor including improved corrosion resistance, enhanced safety through a redesigned cab with improved impact protection, improved energy efficiency through the inclusion of cells to store energy temporarily after braking which achieves double the energy saving of feeding it back through the wires, reduced mass, optional support for its PRIMOVE under track power transmission system and the new Flexx Urban 3000 bogie which allows the LRV to run on conventional wheelsets. The vehicle also features improved air-conditioning and a wider more spacious interior via the reduction in the width of its sidewalls allowing more seating or other uses. These changes have resulted in a very slight increase in axle load, although Bombardier says this does not limit the operational capabilities of the vehicle.
The launch customer was Blackpool Transport which ordered 16 units in July 2009 to replace its tourist-focused and high-maintenance heritage fleet with a new vehicle suitable for daily commuters. The worldwide launch of the tram, including showing the first new tram occurred on 8 September 2011, at the new Starr Gate depot in Blackpool.
Additional orders came from G:link ordering 14 units for operation in Gold Coast, Australia, Basler Verkehrs-Betriebe ordering 60 units for Basel, Switzerland, De Lijn ordering in total 88 units for Antwerp and Ghent, Belgium and Suzhou New District Tram Co., Ltd. ordering 18 units for Suzhou New District, Suzhou, China built by CSR Puzhen under a Bombardier technology licence agreement.
|City||Operator||Type designation||Built in||Number of vehicles||Articulated Sections||Track Gauge||Length||Width||Height||Weight (empty)||Maximum power||Electrification|
|Blackpool, United Kingdom||Blackpool Transport||Flexity 2 (Blackpool)||2010-2012||16||5||1435 mm||32.23 m (105 ft 9 in)||2.65 m (8 ft 8 in)||3.42 m (11 ft 3 in)||40.9 t (40.3 long tons; 45.1 short tons)||4 x 120 kW (160 hp)||600 V DC Overhead|||
|Gold Coast, Australia||G:link||2013-2014||14 (+4 on order for 2018 delivery)||7||1435 mm||43.5 m (142 ft 9 in)||2.65 m (8 ft 8 in)||3.42 m (11 ft 3 in)||750 V DC Overhead|||
|Basel, Switzerland||Basler Verkehrs-Betriebe||2014-2017||60||5/7||1000 mm||31.8 m (104 ft 4 in)/43.2 m (141 ft 9 in)||2.3 m (7 ft 7 in)||750 V DC Overhead|||
|Antwerp and Ghent, Belgium||De Lijn||2014-2016||38 five section, 50 seven section||5/7||1000 mm||31.4 m (103 ft 0 in)/42.7 m (140 ft 1 in)||2.3 m (7 ft 7 in)||750 V DC Overhead|||
|Suzhou New District, Suzhou, China||Suzhou New District Tram Co., Ltd.||2015||18||5||1435 mm||31.8 m (104 ft 4 in)||2.65 m (8 ft 8 in)||N/A (under construction)||N/A (under construction)||N/A (under construction)||N/A (under construction)|||
- "Tram order for Blackpool". Modern Railways (731): 10. August 2009.
- "Blackpool tram spec sheet" (PDF). Bombardier.
- Blackpool supertram is here! Blackpool Gazette 8 September 2011
- "Record of Proceedings (proof) First Session of the Fifty-fifth Parliament Thursday, 12 November 2015" (PDF). Queensland Parliament. 12 November 2015. p. 2826.
- Bombardier to supply LRVs for Gold Coast Rapid Transit Rail Express 15 June 2011
- Gold Coast takes delivery of more new trams Global Rail News 12 November 2013
- BVB buy 60 "Flexity Basel" Bombardier gahnonline.ch 15 October 2012
- De Lijn orders Flexity 2 trams for Antwerpen and Gent Railway Gazette 7 August 2012
- Bombardier to Supply 40 Additional FLEXITY 2 Trams to Belgian Transport Agency De Lijn Bombardier press release 2 June 2015
- Bombardier Partner CSR Puzhen Wins Order for Low-Floor Trams in China Bombardier Transportation 10 January 2013
- Work starts on China's first modern tram line in Suzhou City of Suzhou 13 September 2012