Flight of the Conchords (album)
|Flight of the Conchords|
|Studio album by Flight of the Conchords|
|Released||21 April 2008|
|Flight of the Conchords chronology|
|Pitchfork Media||(7.2/10) link|
Flight of the Conchords is the debut full-length studio recorded album by New Zealand folk parody duo Flight of the Conchords, released 21 April 2008 by Sub Pop. Two songs, "Business Time" and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)", have been released as downloadable content for the video game Rock Band.
All tracks written by Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie.
|1.||"Foux du Fafa"||2:47|
|2.||"Inner City Pressure"||3:27|
|3.||"Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros"||2:09|
|4.||"Think About It"||3:15|
|5.||"Ladies of the World"||3:57|
|7.||"The Prince of Parties"||1:49|
|8.||"Leggy Blonde" (feat. Rhys Darby)||2:42|
|11.||"A Kiss Is Not a Contract"||1:55|
|12.||"The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)"||4:02|
|iTunes bonus track|
|16.||"Bret, You've Got It Going On" (pre-order only)||1:43|
- All songs written and performed by Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie
- Sara Johnston - vocals on "Foux du Fafa"
- Robin Lynn - keys on "Foux du Fafa," "Think About It" and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)"
- Gus Seyffert - bass on "Think About It" and "Business Time"
- Danny Frankel - percussion on "Think About It," "The Prince of Parties" and "Business Time"
- Mickey Petralia - drums on "Ladies of the World" and "Leggy Blonde;" percussion on "The Prince of Parties" and "A Kiss is Not a Contract"
- Mark Lewis - drums on "Ladies of the World" and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)"
- Kyle O'Callaghan - co-writer and guitar on "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)"
- Rhys Darby - vocals on "Leggy Blonde"
- Scott Seiver - drums on "Business Time" and "Bowie"
- David Ralicke - horns on "Bowie"
Sales and chart performance
The album debuted at number three on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling about 52,000 copies in its first week. In their home country of New Zealand, the album debuted at number two, beaten to the top spot by Beautiful Machine by Shihad. The following week it jumped to the number one spot. The album was certified 2x Platinum in New Zealand on 23 August 2009, shipping over 30,000 copies.
Appearances on the TV show
All of the tracks on the album, with the exception of track 15, were featured in an episode of the TV series Flight of the Conchords.
- Tracks 9 and 12 were featured in the episode Sally.
- Tracks 2 and 10 were featured in the episode Bret Gives Up the Dream.
- Tracks 3 and 4 were featured in the episode Mugged.
- Track 13 was featured in the episode Sally Returns.
- Tracks 14 and 16 were featured in the episode Bowie.
- Tracks 6 and 8 were featured in the episode Drive By.
- Tracks 1 and 11 were featured in the episode Girlfriends.
- Tracks 5 and 7 were featured in the episode New Fans.
Many tracks are rerecorded or slightly remixed versions of those featured in the television program.
"Business Time" previously appeared on The Distant Future EP, along with live versions of "Robots" and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)".
In the video, Bret and Jemaine skate around a beach (mostly in slow motion) in a parody of "cheesy" 70's music videos. When they reach the hermaphrodite lyrics, the camera zooms in on a bulge in a woman's swimsuit. When the music fades back in at the end of the song, Bret and Jemaine "fly" into space; Bret flaps his arms and Jemaine uses his vest as wings.
|Award||Awarded at||Other Contenders in Category|
|Album of the Year||New Zealand Music Awards 08||Anika Moa, Liam Finn, Scribe, Tiki Taane|
|Best Group||New Zealand Music Awards 08||Shihad, The Phoenix Foundation|
|Breakthrough Artist of the Year||New Zealand Music Awards 08||Cut Off Your Hands, Tiki Taane|
|International Achievement||New Zealand Music Awards 08||Savage|
- Christgau, Robert. "Flight of the Conchords". Robert Christgau.
- Flight of the Conchords. Sub Pop.
- Perry, Douglass. Beatles Rock Band game publisher tries to stoke sales. VentureBeat. December 11, 2009.
- More Details on the Upcoming Flight of the Conchords Track Pack. Team Teabag.
- Katie Hasty, "Mariah Carey Remains Atop Billboard 200", Billboard.com, 30 April 2008.
- New Zealand 2x Platinum Certification Archived 12 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- New Zealand Chart Facts Archived 9 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- on YouTube
Beautiful Machine by Shihad
|New Zealand RIANZ Album Chart number-one album
5 May 2008
Unbreakable 2008 NZ Tour Edition by Westlife