Location of Flinton ZIP code area (16640) in Cambria County
Location of Cambria County in Pennsylvania
|Elevation||1,428 ft (435 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
It has an elevation of 1,428 feet (435 m) above sea level.
Residents of Flinton may attend the local, public schools operated by Glendale School District which provides full day kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2014, the Glendale School District's enrollment was 851 students. In 2011, Glendale School District enrollment was 809 pupils. The District's enrollment was 863 pupils in 2005-06. Glendale School District operates two schools: Glendale Junior/Senior High School and Glendale Elementary School. In 2013, Glendale School District’s graduation rate was 93%.
In 2015, the Pittsburgh Business Times ranked Midd-West School District 371st out of 493 public schools for academic achievement of its pupils. In 2012, Glendale School District achieved Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) despite the low academic achievement at the high school.
High school aged students can attend the taxpayer funded Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center, for training in the building trades, auto mechanics, culinary arts, allied health careers and other areas. Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center is funded by a consortium of the eight sponsoring school districts, including Glendale School District. The GACTC is ISO 9001:2008 certified along with institutional accreditation through the Middle States Association of Secondary Schools.
Flinton residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 14 public cyber charter schools (in 2013) at no additional cost to the parents. The resident’s public school district is required to pay the charter school and cyber charter school tuition for residents who attend these public schools. The tuition rate that Glendale School District must pay was $10,103 in 2014. By Commonwealth law, if the District provides transportation for its own students, then the District must provide transportation to any school that lies within 10 miles of its borders. Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Central Intermediate Unit #10 provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region which includes Flinton. Early screening, special education services, speech and hearing therapy, autistic support, preschool classes and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements. Intermediate units receive taxpayer funding: through subsidies paid by member school districts; through direct charges to users for some services; through the successful application for state and federal competitive grants and through private grants.
- "United States Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System". United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- USGS Coalport, Pennsylvania, 7-1/2 minute quadrangle
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (October 4, 2013). "District Fast Facts - Glendale School District".
- NCES, Common Core of Data - Glendale School District, 2011
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Enrollment and Projections by LEA 2005-06 - 2020, July 2010
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (October 4, 2013). "Glendale Junior Senior High School School Performance Profile 2013".
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 10, 2015). "Guide to Pennsylvania Schools Statewide School District Ranking 2015".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 21, 2012). "Glendale School District AYP Overview 2012".
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (2015). "Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center About Us".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "Charter Schools".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "What is a Charter School?".
- Central Intermediate Unit 10 Administration (2015). "About the Central Intermediate Unit 10".