Flintstone Air Force Station
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|Flintstone Air Force Station|
|Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)|
Location of Flintstone AFS, Georgia
|Type||Air Force Station|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
|Garrison||867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron|
Flintstone Air Force Station (ADC ID: SM-165) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 1.9 miles (3.1 km) west-northwest of Flintstone, Georgia. It was closed in 1960.
Flintstone Air Force Station was initially part of Phase II of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. The Air Force approved this expansion of the Mobile Radar program on October 23, 1952. Radars in this network were designated “SM.”
The station became operational on 1 October 1955 when the 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron activated AN/MPS-11 and AN/TPS-10D radars at the site, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. By 1960 the 867th was operating AN/FPS-6 and AN/FPS-8 radars.
On 25 July 1960, the Air Force discontinued the 867th AC&W Squadron and closed Flintstone AFS on 31 July due to budgetary constraints.
Air Force units and assignments
- Constituted as the 867th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
- Activated at Dobbins AFB (M-87), GA on 8 June 1955
- Moved to Flintstone AFS on 1 October 1955
- Discontinued and inactivated on 25 July 1960
- 35th Air Division, 1 October 1955
- 58th Air Division, 1 March 1956
- 35th Air Division, 1 September 1958
- 32d Air Division, 15 November 1958 – 25 July 1960
- Cornett, Lloyd H. and Johnson, Mildred W., A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 - 1980, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson AFB, CO (1980).
- Winkler, David F. & Webster, Julie L., Searching the Skies, The Legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program, US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories, Champaign, IL (1997).
- Information for Flintstone AFS, GA