Flo is a menstruation and menopause tracking, ovulation calendar, and pregnancy monitoring mobile application. It uses artificial intelligence and data science to monitor women’s health. The application is available on iOS and Android.
Yuri Gurski is the founder and president of Flo. It was founded in 2015, in Minsk, Belarus. The co-founders include Dmitry Gurski, Max Scrobov, Andrew Kovzel. Flo headquarter is in Redwood City, California.
In September 2017, Russian model Natalia Vodianova became an investor with Flo, and developed the “Let’s Talk About it. Period” worldwide awareness campaign which seeks to break the taboo surrounding women’s health and more specifically periods through a series of events, talks, interviews, video and social media.
In December 2017, Flo began to work with the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) to spread health awareness among women throughout the world by creating content on reproductive and sexual health issues.
Flo was initially created as a convenient period tracking application, but later, it developed into an artificial intelligence powered women’s health product. The application covers all phases of a reproductive cycle, including the start of menstruation (teens), cycle tracking, preparation for conception (for women with or without fertility problems), pregnancy, early motherhood, menopause. It is the first menstruation tracking application to use artificial intelligence for accurate cycle predictions.
Flo users get access to a calendar to receive reminders of upcoming menstrual cycles, and maintain a record of various other health symptoms such as contraceptive methods, vaginal discharge, water intake, pains, mood swings, and sexual activity. It uses neural networks to predict menstrual cycles.
In 2016, Flo raised $1 million in Seed round funding from Flint Capital and Haxus Venture Fund. In 2017, Flo received an investment of $5 million from Flint Capital, Natalia Vodianova and other angel investors. In 2018, Flo received an investment of $6 million from Mangrove Capital Partners, with participation from Flint Capital and Haxus, giving the company a valuation of $200 million.
- "In-Depth: Digital health innovation in fertility and women's health – not so niche anymore". MobiHealthNews. 2016-12-22. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Park, Andrea. "Emily Ratajkowski's Embarrassing Period Story Is So Relatable". Glamour. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Bogen, Julie (2018-09-23). "How period-tracking apps helped me regain control after going off the pill". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "The period-positive start-ups revolutionising the multi-billion pound feminine care industry". The Independent. 2018-12-13. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Winter, Lottie. "If you have irregular periods, you NEED this tracking app". Glamour UK. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "10 of the best period tracking apps for 2018". Medical News Today. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Flo takes aim at women's health in $5M Series A round". MobiHealthNews. 2017-08-14. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Flo raises $5 million for its AI-powered period-tracking app". VentureBeat. 2017-08-11. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Natalia Vodianova's New Video Series Tackles Every Single Period Taboo". InStyle.com. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Lally, Maria (2018-04-11). "Russian model Natalia Vodianova on juggling five kids and the health app that's got her talking about sex". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Why period tracker and fertility apps are the hottest thing in tech". Evening Standard. 2018-04-19. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "La rivoluzione mestruale". Vogue Italia (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "UNFPA partners with Flo app to bring reproductive health information to millions of users". www.unfpa.org. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Meet Flo - The First Period & Ovulation Tracker that Uses Neural Networks". insideBIGDATA. 2017-05-21. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Hsieh, Carina (2018-02-16). "8 Period Tracking Apps That Will Never Make You Wonder If That's Your Period Starting or Just Discharge". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "Funding Snapshot: Flo App Raises $1 Million Seed for Period Calculator". Wall Street Journal. 2016-12-15. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "AI-powered women's health platform lands $12M in Series A extension round". MobiHealthNews. 2018-10-11. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Innovation Awards Honorees".