Floods in Australia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|1900||Western Australian floods||WA|
|1909||Western Victorian floods||VIC||4|||
|1929||Tasmanian Floods||TAS||22|||
|1934||Yarra River||VIC||35|||
|1947||June 1947 Tasmanian floods||TAS|
|1950||Maitland, Gippsland, West Queensland||NSW, VIC, QLD||1|||
|1955||Maitland flood||NSW||14|||
|1955||All southern states (August)||WA, SA, VIC, NSW, TAS||2|||
|1956||Murray River flood||NSW, VIC, SA|
|1970||All eastern states (December)||QLD, NSW, VIC, TAS||16|||
|1971||Canberra flood||ACT||7|||
|1974||Brisbane flood||QLD||16|||
|1984 Feb||West Dapto||NSW||not known|||
|1990||East Coast||NSW||7|||
|1996||Queensland and New South Wales||NSW & QLD||4|||
|NT, QLD, NSW||3|||
|June 2007||Hunter Valley/Maitland floods||NSW||10|||
|June 2007||Gippsland Floods||VIC|
|February 2008||Mackay floods||QLD|
|September 2010||Victorian floods (Sept)||VIC|
|March 2010||Queensland floods (March)||QLD|
|December 2010||Carnarvon/Gascoyne (December)||WA|
|December 2010 – January 2011||Queensland floods (Dec – Jan)||QLD||35|||
|January 2011||2011 Victorian Floods (Jan)||VIC||2|||
|August 2011||Gippsland (August)||VIC||1|||
|February – March 2012||Eastern Australia (Feb – Mar)||NSW, VIC, QLD||3|||
|March 2012||Gippsland and Koowerup||VIC||0|||
|January – February 2013||2013 Eastern Australia Floods (Jan)||QLD, NSW||6|||
|April 2015||2015 Hunter Valley/Central Coast/Sydney Floods||NSW||8|||
|May 2015||South – East Queensland Flash Floods||QLD||5|||
|June 2016||Tasmanian Floods||TAS||3|||
|September 2016||Central West and Riverina Floods||NSW||1|||
|February 2017||Western Australian Floods||WA||2|||
|Late March 2017||Eastern Australian Floods caused by Cyclone Debbie||Southern Queensland, Northern NSW||(As of 8 April 2017[update]) 12|||
|February 2020||Widespread flooding in Sydney basin and the Blue Mountains, flooding in central west to the north of NSW and flooding caused by Tropical Cyclone Damien in Karratha||NSW, WA||0|
|March 2021||Widespread flooding in the Sydney basin and the Mid North Coast of NSW (2021 Eastern Australia floods). Extending into South East Queensland||NSW, South East Queensland||3
(As of 25 March 2021[update])
|9-10 June 2021||Widespread flash flooding across Gippsland. 160,000 properties blacked out, some for 4 days or more. Traralgon in the Latrobe Valley was one of the hardest-hit places with 200 homes evacuated.||Victoria||2|||
|November 2021||Central Queensland||Queensland|||
|January 2022||Wide Bay-Burnett, Fraser Coast and Gympie Regions, caused by ex-Tropical Cyclone Seth||Queensland||At least 1||
- The Argus. 28 December 1863
- The Great Flood of Ballarat. pg 6. The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser. 23 October 1869
- The Floods in Australia: Heavy Losses Revealed. Launceston Examiner. 18 July 1891
- Whitaker (2005), 30.
- Kenny (n.d.).
- "Facsimile of brochure" (PDF). downloads.newcastle.edu.au. Retrieved 2020-09-26.
- pg 1. The West Australian. Thursday 6 April 1950
- "The West Dapto flood of February 1984: Rainfall characteristics and channel changes". ResearchGate.
- "Tropical Cyclone Les", Bureau of Meteorology
- "Flood - Sydney and Wollongong, 1998 - Australian Disaster Resilience Knowledge Hub". knowledge.aidr.org.au.
- "Death toll from Queensland Floods". Queensland Police Service. 24 January 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "Missing boy's body found". ABC News. Australia. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "Victoria flash floods claim first victim". ninemsn.com.au. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- Heard, Hamish; O'Connell, Brigid (13 August 2011). "Gippsland farmer dies in floodwaters in bid to save cattle". Sunday Herald-Sun. Melbourne. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-08-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Two dead in flood crisis gripping parts of Victoria, NSW and Queensland". Herald-Sun. AAP. 5 March 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Australian flood clean-up begins". Radio Australia. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Sandeman, George (2 May 2015). "Five die in Queensland floods after downpours in Caboolture". The Guardian. Australia. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Four missing as floods devastate Tasmania; NSW mops up". ABC News. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Body found near Forbes identified as missing Burcher man Robert Linnane". ABC News. Australia. 6 October 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Morrison, Lisa. "WA floods: Second man's body recovered as receding waters reveal extent of damage". ABC. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Cyclone Debbie: Floods in NSW and Queensland claim more lives". The Courier Mail. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Cockburn, Paige; Nguyen, Kevin (21 March 2021). "Live: NSW facing 'dangerous situation' as more than 18,000 people are evacuated". www.abc.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 22 March 2021.
- Chapman, Alex (21 March 2021). "Weather system battering New South Wales extends along coast to Queensland". 7NEWS. Seven West Media. Retrieved 22 March 2021.
A once-in-50-year rain event battering New South Wales is also impacting south-east Queensland.
- "Body found in submerged car as rescuers search for flood victims in eastern Victoria". ABC Gippsland. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 9 June 2021. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- "Victorians count the cost after violent storm sends trees crashing through homes". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 10 June 2021. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- "Woman's body found in floodwater as Victoria's storm toll rises, further rain expected overnight". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 11 June 2021. Retrieved 11 June 2021.
- Cook, Mim (13 June 2021). "Victorian power outages not all bad for some families living 'off the grid'". ABC Radio Gippsland. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 13 June 2021.
- "'He lost everything': Central Queensland residents flee emergency flooding overnight". ABC News. 2021-11-25. Retrieved 2022-01-13.
- "Girl missing, towns facing inundation as ex-cyclone brings deadly flooding to south-east Queensland". ABC News. 2022-01-07. Retrieved 2022-01-13.
- Devin, L.B. and D.L. Purcell (1983) Flooding in Australia Canberra : Australian Government Publishing Service ISBN 0-644-02627-8 : (Water 2000 : consultants report no. 11)(Department of Resources and Energy).
Media related to Floods in Australia at Wikimedia Commons