Flora of Australia (series)
Flora of Australia is a 59 volume series describing the vascular plants, bryophytes and lichens present in Australia and its external territories. The series is published by the Australian Biological Resources Study who estimate that the series when complete will describe over 20 000 plant species. It was orchestrated by Alison McCusker.
Volume 1 of the series was published in 1981, a second extended edition was released in 1999. The series uses the Cronquist system of taxonomy. The ABRS also published the Fungi of Australia, the Algae of Australia and the Flora of Australia Supplementary Series. A new online Flora of Australia was launched by ABRS in 2017, and no more printed volumes will be published.
Other Australian floras
A few censuses of the Australian flora have been carried out, they include
- 1793-95 - J. E. Smith - A Specimen of the Botany of New Holland
- 1804-05 - J. E. Smith - Exotic Botany
- 1804-07 - J. J. H. de Labillardière - Novae Hollandiae Plant. Spec
- 1810 - R. Brown - Prodromus Florae Novae Hollandiae et Insulae Van Diemen
- 1814 - R. Brown - Botanical Appendix to Flinders' Voyage
- 1849 - R. Brown - Botanical Appendix to C. Sturt, Narrative of an Expedition into Central Australia
- 1856 - J. D. Hooker - Introductory Essay, Flora Tasmaniae
- 1863-78 - G. Bentham - Flora Australiensis
- 1882 - F. Mueller - Systematic Census of Australian Plants
- 1889 - F. Mueller - Second Systematic Census
- 1990 - R. J. Hnatiuk - Census of Australian Vascular Plants
- Orchard, A. E. 1999. Introduction. In A. E. Orchard, ed. Flora of Australia - Volume 1, 2nd edition pp 1-9. Australian Biological Resources Study ISBN 0-643-05965-2
- "Flora of Australia series". CSIRO Publishing. CSIRO Publishing. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- CSIRO; Australia. Bureau of Flora and Fauna; Australian Biological Resources Study; Australia. Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (1981), Flora of Australia, CSIRO Publishing : Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, ISBN 978-0-643-09056-9CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Orchard, A. E; Thompson, Helen S; CSIRO; Australian Biological Resources Study (1999), Flora of Australia (2nd ed.), Australian Biological Resources Study : CSIRO, ISBN 978-0-643-05702-9
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flora of Australia.|