Location of Florence, Mississippi
|• Mayor||Robert Morris|
|• Board of Aldermen||Trey Gunn|
|• Total||8.13 sq mi (21.04 km2)|
|• Land||8.13 sq mi (21.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||312 ft (95 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||544.86/sq mi (210.37/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0670045|
The United States Census Bureau, in 2010 showed a population of 4141 a 72.8% growth over the 2000 Census. Florence has nearly doubled in size in all aspects. The current city limits have grown northward towards Richland, which is the same as Richland-Florence. Florence was the 12th fastest growing city in Mississippi in the 2010 Census. The city has grown both eastward and westward and will continue to expand towards the Pearl River, eventually stopping at the Pearl River, which separates Rankin County from Hinds County.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The racial makeup of the town was 85.3% White, 13.1% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 0.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.1% of the population.
There were 1,558 households out of which 42.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.8% were non-families. 22.4% of all households were made up of individuals living alone and 8.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town, the population was spread out with 28.7% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 33.2% from 25 to 44, 18.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females, there were 87.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,400, and the median income for a family was $46,250. Males had a median income of $35,030 versus $24,327 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,162. About 9.6% of families and 10.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.8% of those under age 18 and 12.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Steen's Creek Elementary School (Grades K-2)
- Florence Elementary School (Grades 3-5)
- Florence Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Florence High School (Grades 9-12)
- McLaurin Elementary (Grades Pre-K-6)
- McLaurin Highschool (Grades 7-12)
Colleges and universities
- Wesley College (Closed July 2010)
- Robert Braddy - baseball player and coach
- Carl Corley - author and illustrator of fiction focused on homosexual life in a rural environments.
- Paul McCoy - lead singer of the Christian Rock band 12 Stones.
- Tate Reeves - Lieutenant Governor of Mississippi.
- The Weeks - indie pop band.
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jan 6, 2019.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Florence, Mississippi (MS 39218) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders". www.city-data.com. Retrieved 2017-01-20.
- "Bob Braddy | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS". Jackson Free Press. July 7, 2016. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Brannock, Jennifer (November 2007). "Jesse: Man of the Streets by Carl Corley (1968)". University of Southern Mississippi.