US FSA aerial photograph of Florence in 2005
Location of Florence, Montana
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,264 ft (995 m)|
|• Density||996/sq mi (384.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0783551|
Florence was named for Florence Abbott Hammond, wife of A. B. Hammond, of Missoula.
Florence is located at (46.637135, -114.081191).
As of the census of 2000, there were 901 people, 323 households, and 266 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 190.7 people per square mile (73.7/km²). There were 336 housing units at an average density of 71.1 per square mile (27.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.12% White, 1.44% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.44% Pacific Islander, and 1.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.89% of the population.
There were 323 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.6% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.6% were non-families. 14.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 28.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $39,286, and the median income for a family was $47,946. Males had a median income of $29,219 versus $20,795 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,626. About 9.2% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.3% of those under age 18 and 19.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Tachini, Pete; Louie Adams, Sophie Mays, Mary Lucy Parker, Johnny Arlee, Frances Vanderburg, Lucy Vanderburg, Diana Christopher-Cote (1998). nyoʻnuntn q̓éymin, Flathead Nation Salish dictionary. Pablo, Montana: Bilingual Education Department, Salish Kootenai College. p. 53.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Florence CDP, Montana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 127.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.