Florence-Roebling, New Jersey
Florence-Roebling, New Jersey
Former census-designated place
Map of former Florence-Roebling CDP in Burlington County
|• Total||6.8 km2 (2.6 sq mi)|
|• Land||5.7 km2 (2.2 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.1 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,431.3/km2 (3,707.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern (EDT))|
Florence-Roebling is an unincorporated community and former census-designated place (CDP) located within Florence Township, in Burlington County, New Jersey, United States, that existed up to and including the 2000 United States Census. As of the 2000 Census, the CDP's population was 8,200. With the 2010 United States Census, the CDP has been split into its components, with the creation of separate CDPs for Florence CDP (with a 2010 Census population of 4,426) and Roebling (3,715).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 6.8 km2 (2.6 mi2). 5.7 km2 (2.2 mi2) of land and 1.1 km2 (0.4 mi2) of water (15.91%).
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 8,200 people, 3,220 households, and 2,170 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,432.6/km2 (3,707.0/mi2). There were 3,439 housing units at an average density of 600.8/km2 (1,554.7/mi2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 85.07% White, 10.54% African American, 0.09% Native American, 2.09% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.04% of the population.
There were 3,220 households out of which 33.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.0% were married couples living together, 15.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.6% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.6% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $51,192, and the median income for a family was $61,135. Males had a median income of $42,985 versus $30,493 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $22,074. About 5.7% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those age 65 or over.
Roebling Steel Mill
|Roebling Company and Building Trenton, C-SPAN|
Roebling was founded by Charles Roebling, son of John A. Roebling. John A. Roebling & Sons company built and provided the steel for the Brooklyn Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, as well as numerous other bridges including one over Niagara Falls.
The steel mill was also responsible for the production of the elevator cables for the Empire State Building in New York City, the Chicago Board of Trade Building in Chicago and the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. John A. Roebling & Sons company made the wire for the original slinky as well.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Florence-Roebling CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 17, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Burlington County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 17, 2013.
- 2006-2010 American Community Survey Geography for New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 17, 2013.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, p. III-3, August 2012. Accessed June 17, 2013. "Burlington County — Annexations from MCDs: Medford Lakes borough from Medford township; New CDPs: Florence (formed from part of deleted Florence-Roebling CDP), Juliustown (formed from part of Fort Dix CDP and additional area), and Roebling (formed from part of deleted Florence-Roebling CDP); Deleted CDPs: Florence-Roebling (split to form Florence and Roebling CDPs)"
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Florence CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 17, 2013.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Roebling CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed June 17, 2013.
- Staff. 1980 Census of Population: Number of Inhabitants United States Summary, p. 1-141. United States Census Bureau, June 1983. Accessed January 12, 2012.
- River LINE System Map, New Jersey Transit. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- "Roebling Company and Building Trenton". C-SPAN. April 17, 2017. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Blackwell, Jon. "1905: Model of a company town", The Trentonian. Accessed July 21, 2016.