Florence Township, Erie County, Ohio
|Florence Township, Erie County, Ohio|
Fields along the Ohio Turnpike in eastern Florence Township
Location of Florence Township in Erie County
|• Total||26.3 sq mi (68.2 km2)|
|• Land||26.1 sq mi (67.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||787 ft (240 m)|
|• Density||93/sq mi (36.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086062|
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Vermilion Township - north
- Brownhelm Township, Lorain County - northeast corner
- Henrietta Township, Lorain County - east
- Wakeman Township, Huron County - south
- Townsend Township, Huron County - southwest corner
- Berlin Township - west
Name and history
- Statewide, the only other Florence Township is located in Williams County.
- Florence Township was judicially independently-organized in 1817. This township had been originally established about 1808 as "Jesup" Township, in honor of one of its original land-speculators; however, the township name was shortly later changed to "Florence" ( due to that land-owner having fallen into dis-favor with the pioneer-settlers who had purchased their farms from him). 
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Florence township, Erie County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 9, 2016.
- Williams, William W. (1879). History of the Fire Lands, Comprising Huron and Erie Counties, Ohio. Press of Leader Printing Company. p. 452.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.