|Full name||Florent Cuvelier|
|Date of birth||12 September 1992|
|Place of birth||Anderlecht, Belgium|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Playing position||Central Midfielder|
|2012||→ Walsall (loan)||18||(4)|
|2012||→ Walsall (loan)||19||(2)|
|2013||→ Peterborough United (loan)||1||(0)|
|2014||→ Port Vale (loan)||1||(0)|
|2015||→ Burton Albion (loan)||1||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:57, 7 March 2015 (UTC).
Cuvelier began his career with Mouscron before joining the Academy of English side Portsmouth. Due to Portsmouth financial demise Cuvelier signed for Stoke City in the summer of 2010. At Stoke he has spent time out on loan at Walsall and Peterborough United. He joined Sheffield United in September 2013 for an undisclosed fee. He joined Port Vale on loan in January 2014, and picked up a serious injury during the loan spell. After returning to fitness he was loaned out to Burton Albion in March 2015.
Cuvelier started playing football for his local side Mouscron before moving to England to play for Portsmouth's youth team. He spent just a year on the south coast before joining Stoke City in July 2010. He rejected contract offers from Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham. Cuvelier spent the 2010–11 season with the academy before becoming a regular with the reserves.
On 27 January 2012 Cuvelier joined League One side Walsall on a month-long loan. He made his professional debut four days later against Notts County. He scored his first professional goal against Oldham Athletic in a 2–1 defeat at Boundary Park. After impressing "Saddlers" manager Dean Smith, Cuvelier extended his loan until the end of the 2011–12 season. He was nominated for the League One Player of the Month award for his performances in March 2012. He returned to Stoke after playing 18 matches for Walsall, scoring four goals. He signed a new two-year contract with Stoke in May 2012.
Cuvelier returned to Walsall on a six-month loan in July 2012. He scored against his old club Portsmouth on 15 September 2012 in a 2–1 win. In total he played 17 times in his second spell at the Bescot Stadium, scoring three goals. On 27 March 2013, Cuvelier joined Championship side Peterborough United on loan until the end of the 2012–13 season. He played once for Peterborough before returning to Stoke where he appeared on the bench for the first time against Southampton in the final match of the 2012–13 season.
On 2 September 2013, Cuvelier joined League One side Sheffield United on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee. He started six games at the start of the 2013–14 campaign under manager David Weir but lost his first team place after Nigel Clough took charge in October; Clough stated that Cuvelier was available to go out on loan during the January transfer window. On 16 January 2014, he joined league rivals Port Vale on loan until the end of the season. Manager Micky Adams stated that "He's had very little football at Sheffield United so if there is one worry it is that maybe he might need four or five games to get himself up to full speed. Really we can't afford four or five games, we need him to hit the floor running if he possibly can." He made his debut at Vale Park three days later, but was forced to leave the pitch on a stretcher on 36 minutes after picking up a knee injury. He was later ruled out for the rest of the season after it was found that he had torn his anterior cruciate ligament.
He returned to full fitness in November 2014. He returned to first team action on 6 December as a late substitute in a 3–0 FA Cup victory over Plymouth Argyle and provided the assist for the third goal. He joined Burton Albion on loan for the remainder of the 2014–15 season on 6 March 2015. The next day he came off the bench to score the only goal of the game at Hartlepool United. Impressed by manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and living just ten minutes drive from the Pirelli Stadium, Cuvelier stated that he would be interested in making his stay with Burton permanent. However he was unable to recover from a hamstring injury picked up during his appearance against Hartlepool and played no further part of Burton's title winning season.
Cuvelier has progressed through the youth teams of Belgium and was captain of the Belgium U19 squad.
Style of play
Speaking in January 2014, Walsall Advertiser reporter Michael Beardmore described Cuvelier as "a creative, energetic attacking midfielder and... for such a young player he had a really mature head on his shoulders.
- As of 7 May 2015.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Stoke City||2011–12||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Walsall (loan)||2011–12||League One||18||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||18||4|
|Peterborough United (loan)||2012–13||Championship||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|Sheffield United||2013–14||League One||7||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||8||0|
|Port Vale (loan)||2013–14||League One||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0|
|Burton Albion (loan)||2014–15||League Two||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||1|
- with Burton Albion
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 534. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Stoke sign Pompey's Belgian teenage midfielder Cuvelier". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "City Sign Belgian Youngster". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 8 July 2010.
- "Cuvelier Joins Saddlers on Loan". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- "Walsall sign Florent Cuvelier from Stoke City on loan". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- "Cuvelier in full flo". Walsall F.C. Retrieved 28 January 2012.
- "Walsall v Notts County". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 January 2012.
- "Oldham 2–1 Walsall". BBC Sport. Retrieved 14 February 2012.
- "Cuvelier Extends Loan Spell". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Boost as Cuvelier stays for the season". Walsall F.C. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Cuvelier wants Stoke City first-team chance". BBC Sport. 3 April 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Walsall's on-loan Stoke midfielder Cuvelier considers next move". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Flo Pens New Deal". Stoke City F.C. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- "Boost as Flo returns". Walsall F.C. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Portsmouth 1–2 Walsall". BBC Sport. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Peterborough United sign Florent Cuvelier from Stoke City". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Southampton 1–1 Stoke". BBC Sport. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Sheffield United sign Florent Cuvelier and Harry Bunn". BBC Sport. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Star duo could leave on loan". Sheffield Star. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Transfer window: Florent Cuvelier joins Port Vale on loan". BBC Sport. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Baggaley, Mike (16 January 2014). "Port Vale sign former Stoke City midfielder Florent Cuvelier". The Sentinel. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Port Vale 1 - 0 Oldham Athletic". BBC Sport. 18 January 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Port Vale midfielder Florent Cuvelier out for the season". BBC Sport. 21 January 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Baggaley, Mike (28 November 2014). "Rob Page pleased to see Flo Cuvelier back in action". The Sentinel. Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- "Result: Blades 3 Plymouth 0: Baxter penalty double as United ease through". Sheffield Star. 6 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "Florent Cuvelier: Burton Albion sign Sheffield United man on loan". BBC Sport. 6 March 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hartlepool 0 - 1 Burton". BBC Sport. 7 March 2015. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Sloan, Tom (13 March 2015). "Florent Cuvelier already up for a longer stay". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Sloan, Tom (10 April 2015). "Florent Cuvelier ruled out for the season". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Florent Cuvelier can be 'one of the best midfielders in League One'". The Sentinel. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Florent Cuvelier". Soccerbase. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- "Games played by Florent Cuvelier in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Games played by Florent Cuvelier in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Games played by Florent Cuvelier in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Games played by Florent Cuvelier in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "Games played by Florent Cuvelier in 2015/2016". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- Florent Cuvelier career statistics at Soccerbase
- Sheffield United FC Official Player Profile
- Video interview with Cuvelier at BBC Sport
- Belgium Stats at Belgian FA