Matei playing for Volyn Lutsk in 2015
|Full name||Florentin Matei|
|Date of birth||15 April 1993|
|Place of birth||Bolintin-Vale, Romania|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2008–2011||Steaua II București||5||(0)|
|2010||→ Unirea Urziceni (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 November 2017.
Born in Bolintin-Vale, Giurgiu County, Matei came through FC Steaua București's youth ranks, and in 2009 he was named the best player of the "Iulian Manzarov – International Football Tournament for Juniors" in Bulgaria. On 16 May 2010 he made his Liga I debut for the senior team, in a 2–0 victory against FC Universitatea Craiova where he came on as a substitute for Romeo Surdu in the 82nd minute; in September, he was sent on loan at fellow league side FC Unirea Urziceni along with several other teammates from Steaua's reserves.
The following year, Matei terminated his contract with the capital-based club. He was subsequently criticised by its owner George Becali, who believed that the youngster would never become an above average player.
Cesena / Volyn Lutsk
In the autumn of 2013, Matei agreed to a three-year deal with Ukrainian side FC Volyn Lutsk, having been previously close to joining FC Dinamo București, the historic rival of his former club Steaua. During his spell with the Crusaders he made 61 appearances all competitions comprised, and scored 12 goals.
On 2 February 2016, HNK Rijeka announced they had signed Matei on a 3 1⁄2-year contract. He was given the number 10 jersey and made his debut a week later, as a 85th-minute substitute in a 2–0 home win over NK Lokomotiva. He scored his first goal for his new team in the first leg of the Croatian Cup semi-final, helping to a 2–1 defeat of NK Slaven Belupo.
- As of 18 November 2017
|Volyn Lutsk||2013–14||Ukrainian Premier League||18||2||1||0||–||19||2|
|Rijeka||2015–16||Croatian First League||13||1||2||1||–||15||2|
- HNK Rijeka
- "Junior stelist premiat" [Steaua junior receives medal] (in Romanian). Steaua București. Archived from the original on 23 March 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Steaua trimite Universitatea Craiova spre Liga 2" [Steaua sends Universitatea Craiova to Liga 2] (in Romanian). Ziare. 16 May 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "EXCLUSIV – Florentin "Messi" Matei va juca la Urziceni! Vezi aici cine a refuzat "exilul" la Unirea!" [EXCLUSIVE – Florentin "Messi" Matei will play for Urziceni! See here who refused the Unirea "exile"] (in Romanian). ProSport. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Fl. Matei: "Am dat mulţi bani ca să plec de la Steaua. Becali s-a simţit jignit"" [Fl. Matei: "I paid a lot of money to leave Steaua. Becali felt offended"] (in Romanian). DigiSport. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Mijlocaşul Florentin Matei a semnat un contract pe cinci ani cu Cesena" [Midfielder Florentin Matei signed a five-year contract with Cesena] (in Romanian). Mediafax. 11 September 2011. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- ""Micul Messi" şi-a găsit în sfîrşit echipă » Florentin Matei: "O iau de jos, vreau să ajung unde îmi doresc dintotdeauna"" ["Little Messi" finally found a team » Florentin Matei: "I'm starting from the bottom, I want to be where I always wanted"] (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 20 October 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Prima promisiune făcută de Florentin Matei dinamoviştilor: "Vă aduc victoria cu Steaua"" [Florentin Matei's first promise to Dinamo fans: "I'll bring you the victory against Steaua"] (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 17 June 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "EXCLUSIV – Dinamo a renunţat la Florentin Matei" [EXCLUSIVE – Dinamo dropped Florentin Matei] (in Romanian). DigiSport. 29 June 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Florentin Matei potpisao za Rijeku i zaradio pljesak publike" [Florentin Matei signed for Rijeka and earned applause] (in Croatian). HNK Rijeka. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Rijeka – Lokomotiva 2:0" (in Croatian). Croatian First Football League. 12 February 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Rijeka – Slaven Belupo 2:1" (in Croatian). Croatian Football Federation. 15 March 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "România U17, învinsă la Mogoşoaia de Germania, scor 1–3" [Romania U17, beaten by Germany at Mogoșoaia, 1–3] (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 18 November 2009. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Mircea Lucescu crede că și Florentin Matei merită o șansă la națională: "Înseamnă foarte mult"" [Mircea Lucescu believes that Floretin Matei deserves a chance too at the national team: "It means a lot"] (in Romanian). DigiSport. 19 March 2016. Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "F. Matei". Soccerway. Retrieved 26 November 2016.