David Florian Bieber
4 October 1974
|Alma mater||University of Vienna|
|Thesis||Serbian Nationalism from the Death of Tito to the Fall of Milošević (2001)|
|Institutions||University of Graz|
|Main interests||Inter-ethnic relations|
minorities and minority rights
David Florian Bieber (born 4 October 1973) is a Luxembourgian political scientist, historian and professor working on inter-ethnic relations, ethnic conflict and nationalism, focusing primarily on Balkans.
In 1991-1992 he studied History, Political Science, Economics and Languages at Trinity College. He received Magister degree in History and Political Science with honors on the topic “Bosnia-Herzegovina and Lebanon: A comparative Study“ in 1997.
In 1998 he received M.A.in Southeastern Studies at Central European University in Budapest and the topic was: „The Rise of Serbian Nationalism in the 1980s“ and in 2001 he earned PH.D. title with honours on the topic: “Serbian Nationalism from the Death of Tito to the Fall of Milošević.”
His academic career began in Central European University, where he was Assistant and Instructor from 1998 until 2000. From 2001 until 2002 he was Regional Representative in European Center for Minority Issues in Belgrade and Sarajevo and at the same centre he became Project Advisor in 2002.
He was Collaborating Researcher at United Nations Research Institute For Social Development on the project "Ethnic Structure, Inequality and Governance of the Public Sector 2002-2005" and published a book in 2006 "Post-War Bosnia: Ethnicity, Inequality and Public Sector Governance".
He became lecturer in East European Politics at University of Kent’s Department of Politics and International Relations in 2006 until 2010. He became professor for Southeast European History and Politics at University of Graz in 2010 and in 2011 he also became Director of Center for Southeast European Studies. Currently he is Vice President of Association for the Study of Nationalities and coordinates the work of the Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group.
He is also Editor-in-Chief of the open access journal Contemporary Southeastern Europe. He is in editorial board of Global Security, Ethnopolitics, Südosteuropa, Političke perspective (Serbo-Croatian for Political Perspectives), Migracijske i etničke teme (Croatian for Migration and ethical themes), European Autonomy and Diversity Papers.
He has authored and co-authored dozens of books, journal articles and news columns. His works include minorities and minority rights issues as well as multi-ethnic states, nationalism and ethnic conflict in the Southeastern Europe (especially Western Balkans)
Selected journal articles
- Bieber, F. (2011). Building impossible states? State-building strategies and EU membership in the Western Balkans. Europe-Asia Studies, 63(10), 1783-1802.
- Aybet, G., & Bieber, F. (2011). From Dayton to Brussels: The impact of EU and NATO conditionality on state building in Bosnia & Hercegovina. Europe-Asia Studies, 63(10), 1911-1937.
- Bieber, F. (2010). Constitutional reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina: preparing for EU accession. Policy Brief, 5, 3-4.
- Bieber, F., & Keil, S. (2009). Power-sharing revisited: Lessons learned in the Balkans?. Review of Central and East European Law, 34(4), 337-360.
- Bieber, F. (2008). Power-sharing and the implementation of the Ohrid Framework Agreement. Power Sharing and the Implementation of the Ohrid Framework Agreement, 7-40.
- Bieber, F. (2006). After Dayton, Dayton? The evolution of an unpopular peace. Ethnopolitics, 5(1), 15-31.
- Bieber, F. (2005). Local institutional engineering: A tale of two cities, Mostar and Brčko. International Peacekeeping, 12(3), 420-433.
- Bieber, Florian (2005) Power sharing after Yugoslavia. Functionality and Dysfunctionality of Power Sharing Institutions Post-war Bosnia, Macedonia and Kosovo. In: Noel, Sid, ed. From Power Sharing to Democracy: Post-conflict Institutions in Ethnically Divided Societies. Studies in Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict . McGill-Queens University Press, Montreal and Kingston, pp. 85–103. ISBN 0773529470
- Bieber, F. (2003). The Serbian opposition and civil society: Roots of the delayed transition in Serbia. International Journal of Politics, Culture, and Society, 17(1), 73-90.
- Bieber, F. (2003). Montenegrin politics since the disintegration of Yugoslavia. Montenegro in Transition: Problems of Identity and Statehood, 11-42.
- Bieber, F. (2003). Montenegro in transition. Problems of Identity and Statehood, Nomos, Baden-Baden.
- Bieber, F. (2002). Nationalist mobilization and stories of Serb suffering: The Kosovo myth from 600th anniversary to the present. Rethinking history, 6(1), 95-110.
- Bieber, F. (2002). Bosnia-Herzegovina: Developments towards a more integrated state?. Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, 22(1), 205-218.
- Bieber, F. (2000). Muslim identity in the Balkans before the establishment of nation states. Nationalities Papers, 28(1), 13-28.
- Bieber, F. (1999). Consociationalism-Prerequisite or Hurdle for Democratisation in Bosnia? The Case of Belgium as a Possible Example. SEER: Journal for Labour and Social Affairs in Eastern Europe, 2(3), 79-94.
- Bieber, F., & Galijaš, A. (2016). Debating the end of Yugoslavia. Routledge.
- Bokulić, S., Bieber, F., Biro, A. M., & Cheney, E. (2006). Minority rights advocacy in the European Union: A guide for NGOs in South-East Europe. Minority Rights Group International.
- Bieber, F. (2005). Post-war Bosnia: Ethnicity, inequality and public sector governance. Springer.
- Bieber, F. (2005). Nationalismus in Serbien vom Tode Titos bis zum Ende der ära Milošević [Serbian Nationalism from the Death of Tito to the Fall of the Milošević] (Vol. 18). LIT Verlag Münster. (In German)
- Bieber, F. D., Bieber, F., & Daskalovski, Ž. (Eds.). (2003). Understanding the war in Kosovo. Psychology Press.
- Bieber, F. (1999). Bosnien-Herzegowina und der Libanon im Vergleich. Historische Entwicklung und Politisches System vor dem Bürgerkrieg, Sinzheim.
- "Florian Bieber". www.europeanleadershipnetwork.org. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- Taylor, James. "David Florian Bieber". Nationalities.org. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "Florian Bieber – BiEPAG". www.biepag.eu. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- UNRISD. "Florian Bieber | Staff | About UNRISD | UNRISD". www.unrisd.org. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "Contemporary Southeastern Europe / Editorial Team". unipub.uni-graz.at. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "Southeastern Europe". Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- Ethnopolitics. "Editorial board". Taylor & Francis Online. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Südosteuropa - IOS Regensburg". www.ios-regensburg.de. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "Političke perspektive". politickeperspektive.org (in Serbian). Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "O MET-u - imin.hr". www.imin.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- Eurac Research. "EDAP's editorial board". Eurac Research. Retrieved 7 July 2018.