|Born||28 June 1979|
Florian Zeller ([flɔ.ʁjɑ̃ zɛ.le]; born 28 June 1979) is a French novelist and playwright. He won the prestigious Prix Interallié in 2004 for his novel La Fascination du Pire (Fascination of Evil) and several Molière Awards for his plays. He is, according to The Times, "the most exciting playwright of our time".
Zeller wrote his first novel Artificial Snow when he was twenty-two years old. But it was his third novel, Fascination of Evil (the 2004 Prix Interallié winner) which made him a household name in France. The book, which explores the relationship of the West with Islam, caused some controversy. It was selected for the Prix Goncourt.
His black comedy, The Father, is one of the outstanding hits of recent years, playing in London's West End to ecstatic five-star reviews and top listings in the Best Plays of the Year. It was considered as "the most acclaimed new play of the last decade" and won several awards and nominations in Paris, London and New York.
His play, The Height of the Storm, starring Jonathan Pryce and Eileen Atkins, opened in London's West End in September 2018 and on Broadway in September 2019. It has been named "best play of 2018" and "one of the best plays of the 21st century" by The Guardian.
The Son opened in London in February 2019 and in London's West End in September 2019 with rave reviews.
His plays are staged in more than 45 countries.
Zeller lives in Paris. He is married to ex-model, actress and sculptor Marine Delterme, who played one of the main roles in the Parisian production of his play Le Manège. They have a son, Roman, born in December 2008.
- 2002: Neiges artificielles, Flammarion (Artificial Snow, Pushkin Press)
- 2003: Les Amants du n'importe quoi, Flammarion (Lovers or Something Like it, Pushkin Press)
- 2004: La Fascination du pire, Flammarion – Prix Interallié (The Fascination of Evil, Pushkin Press)
- 2006: Julien Parme, Flammarion (translated by William Rodarmor, Other Press)
- 2012: La Jouissance, Gallimard
- 2004: L'Autre
- 2005: Le Manège
- 2006: Si tu mourais, Prix Jeune Théâtre of the Académie française
- 2008: Elle t'attend
- 2010: La Mère (The Mother, 2015 in London, 2019 in New York)
- 2011: La Vérité (The Truth, 2017 in London)
- 2012: Le Père (The Father, 2014 in London, 2016 in New York, adapted into the 2015 film Floride)
- 2013: Une Heure de tranquillité (adapted into the 2014 film Do Not Disturb)
- 2014: Le Mensonge (The Lie, 2017 in London)
- 2016: L'Envers du décor
- 2016: Avant de s'envoler (The Height of the Storm, 2018 in London)
- 2018: Le Fils
Awards and nominations
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Prix Interallié for Fascination of Evil (Best Novel in 2004)
- Prix Théâtre of the Académie française for Si tu mourais in 2006
- Molière Award Nominations for Si tu mourais (2006), Elle t'attend (2008), The Mother (2011), The Son(2018).
- Molière Award for Le Père (Best Play in 2014)
- Theatre Awards UK for The Father (Best Play Nomination in 2015)
- Evening Standard Theatre Awards for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2015)
- Laurence Olivier Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2015)
- Outer Critics Circle Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Drama League Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Tony Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Academy Theatre Awards (Israel) for The Father (Best Play in 2016)
- WhatsOnStage Awards for The Mother (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Friedrich-Luft-Preis (Berlin) for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2017)
- Irish Times Theatre Awards (Dublin) for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2017)
- Laurence Olivier Award for The Truth (Nomination for Best Comedy in 2017)
- Aplauso Brasil Award for The Father (Best Play in 2017)
- Manchester Theatre Awards (UK) for The Father (Best Play in 2018)
- Hong Kong Drama Awards (HK) for The Father and The Truth (Best Play in 2018)
- WhatsOnStage Awards for The Son (Nomination for Best Play in 2019)
- Treneman, Ann (27 February 2019). "Review: The Son at Kiln Theatre, NW6". The Times.
- "The Father, au théâtre de londres le Wyndham's Theatre !" [The Father, at the London Theater Wyndham's Theater!]. www.florian-zeller.hautetfort.com (in French). 1 July 2015.
- "The Father - Stage Door". www.stage-door.com. 14 February 2019.[dead link]
- Aridi, Sara (6 February 2019). "'The Height of the Storm' Is Heading to Broadway". The New York Times.
- Billington, Michael (17 December 2018). "Top 10 theatre shows of 2018". The Guardian.
- Fujishima, Kenji (14 February 2019). "Florian Zeller's The Mother, Starring Isabelle Huppert, Extends". TheaterMania.com.
- "Une journée avec Marine Delterme" [A day with Marine Delterme]. Elle (in French). 25 May 2007.
- "Marine Delterme et Florian Zeller sont parents" [Marine Delterme and Florian Zeller are parents]. www.starwizz.com (in French). 15 December 2008. Archived from the original on 16 December 2008. Retrieved 24 December 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Florian Zeller.|