28 June 1979|
Florian Zeller ([flɔ.ʁjɑ̃ zɛ.le]; born 28 June 1979) is a French novelist and playwright. His work has been translated into many languages. He won the prestigious Prix Interallié in 2004 for his novel La Fascination du Pire (Fascination of Evil) and several Molière Awards for his plays. He is, according to The Guardian, "the most exciting new theatre writer of our time".
Zeller wrote his first novel Artificial Snow when he was twenty-two years old. But it was his third novel, Fascination of Evil (the 2004 Prix Interallié winner) which made him a household name in France. The book, which explores the relationship of the West with Islam, caused some controversy. It was selected for the Prix Goncourt.
His black comedy, The Father, is one of the outstanding hits of recent years, playing in London's West End to ecstatic five star reviews and top listings in the Best Plays of the Year. It was considered as "the most acclaimed new play of the last decade"[This quote needs a citation] and won several awards and nominations in Paris, London and New York.
Zeller lives in Paris. He is married to ex-model, actress and sculptor Marine Delterme, who played one of the main roles in the Parisian production of his play Le Manège. They have a son, Roman, born in December 2008.
- 2002: Neiges artificielles, Flammarion (Artificial Snow, Pushkin Press)
- 2003: Les Amants du n'importe quoi, Flammarion (Lovers or Something Like it, Pushkin Press)
- 2004: La Fascination du pire, Flammarion – Prix Interallié (The Fascination of Evil, Pushkin Press)
- 2006: Julien Parme, Flammarion (translated by William Rodarmor, Other Press)
- 2012: La Jouissance, Gallimard
- 2004: L'Autre
- 2005: Le Manège
- 2006: Si tu mourais, Prix Jeune Théâtre of the Académie française
- 2008: Elle t'attend
- 2010: La Mère (The Mother)
- 2011: La Vérité (The Truth)
- 2012: Le Père (The Father, adapted into the 2015 film Floride)
- 2013: Une Heure de tranquillité (adapted into the 2014 film Do Not Disturb)
- 2014: Le Mensonge (The Lie)
- 2016: L'Envers du décor
- 2016: Avant de s'envoler
- 2018: Le Fils
Awards and nominations
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Prix Interallié for Fascination of Evil (Best Novel in 2004)
- Prix Théâtre of the Académie française for Si tu mourais in 2006
- Molière Award Nominations for Si tu mourais (2006), Elle t'attend (2008), The Mother (2011), The Son(2018).
- Molière Award for Le Père (Best Play in 2014)
- Theatre Awards UK for The Father (Best Play Nomination in 2015)
- Evening Standard Theatre Awards for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2015)
- Laurence Olivier Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2015)
- Outer Critics Circle Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Drama League Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Tony Award for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Academy Theatre Awards (Israel) for The Father (Best Play in 2016)
- WhatsOnStage Awards for The Mother (Nomination for Best Play in 2016)
- Friedrich-Luft-Preis (Berlin) for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2017)
- Irish Times Theatre Awards (Dublin) for The Father (Nomination for Best Play in 2017)
- Laurence Olivier Award for The Truth (Nomination for Best Comedy in 2017)
- Aplauso brasil Awards (Brésil) for The Father (Best Play in 2017).
- Manchester Theatre Awards (UK) for The Father (Best Play in 2018).
- Hong Kong Drama Awards (HK) for The Father and The Truth (Best Play in 2018).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Florian Zeller.|