Florida's 12th congressional district
|Florida's 12th congressional district|
Florida's 12th congressional district - since January 3, 2017
|U.S. Representative||Gus Bilirakis (R–Palm Harbor)|
|Area||1,069 sq mi (2,770 km2)|
Florida's 12th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress and was reassigned in 2012, effective January 2013, along the Gulf coast of central Florida. The district includes New Port Richey north of Tampa. It covers Pasco County and parts of north Pinellas County and Hillsborough County.
List of representatives
The following list includes the names of the former representatives of the 12th congressional district, who are elected for 2-year terms, but can be re-elected to serve multiple terms.
|District created January 3, 1963|
|William C. Cramer||Republican||January 3, 1963 – January 3, 1967||Redistricted from the 1st district, Redistricted to the 8th district|
|Dante Fascell||Democratic||January 3, 1967 – January 3, 1973||Redistricted from the 4th district, Redistricted to the 15th district|
|J. Herbert Burke||Republican||January 3, 1973 – January 3, 1979||Redistricted from the 10th district|
|Edward J. Stack||Democratic||January 3, 1979 – January 3, 1981|
|Clay Shaw||Republican||January 3, 1981 – January 3, 1983||Redistricted to the 15th district|
|Tom Lewis||Republican||January 3, 1983 – January 3, 1993||Redistricted to the 16th district|
|Charles T. Canady||Republican||January 3, 1993 – January 3, 2001|
|Adam Putnam||Republican||January 3, 2001 – January 3, 2011|
|Dennis Ross||Republican||January 3, 2011 – January 3, 2013||Redistricted to the 15th district|
|Gus Bilirakis||Republican||January 3, 2013 – present||Redistricted from the 9th district|
Presidential Voting History
|Election results from presidential races|
|2008||President||John McCain 50 - Barack Obama 48%|
|2004||President||George W. Bush 58 - John Kerry 42%|
- NOTE: Randy Wilkinson ran on the Tea Party platform on the ballot.
Living former representatives
As of January 2017[update], there are three former members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 12th congressional district who are currently living at this time. The most recent representative to die was E. Clay Shaw Jr. (1981-1983) on September 10, 2013. The most recently serving representative to die was Tom Lewis (1983-1993) on August 1, 2003.
|Representative||Term of office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Charles T. Canady||1993–2001||June 22, 1954|
|Adam Putnam||2001–2011||July 31, 1974|
|Dennis Ross||2011–2013||October 18, 1959|
Historical district boundaries
The former 12th district, during 2003–2012, covered areas further east and encompassed much of Polk County as well as parts of rural and suburban east Hillsborough County and a small piece of western Osceola County, which became the center of the 9th district.
- "Congressional Plan--SC14-1905 (Ordered by The Florida Supreme Court, 2-December-2015)" (PDF). Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- See whole Florida state map for 2013, with the 12th district covering Pasco County and counties below: h9047_35x42L.pdf Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 16, 2012.
- See the 2013 boundaries of the 12th district, covering Pasco County and northern Pinellas County and northwest Hillsborough in the 2013 districts map: H000C9047_map_sw.pdf, for the southwest region of Florida. Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 2012.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present