Florida's 15th congressional district
|Florida's 15th congressional district|
Florida's 15th congressional district - since January 3, 2017
|Current Representative||Dennis Ross (R–Lakeland)|
|Area||1,170 sq mi (3,000 km2)|
Florida's 15th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress and was reassigned in 2012, effective January 2013, to the northern parts of Hillsborough and Polk counties. The district includes many of the eastern suburbs of Tampa including Brandon, Plant City, Lakeland and Bartow.
From 2003–2012, the prior 15th district contained most of Brevard County south of the city of Cocoa (including the Kennedy Space Center), all of Indian River County, most of Osceola County, and a very small portion of Polk County. The district took in the cities of Kissimmee, Melbourne and Vero Beach, and Patrick Air Force Base. Boundaries were redrawn due to a lawsuit in 2015. Much of this area is now the 8th District, while the current 15th takes in most of what was previously the 12th District.
List of representatives
|District created||January 3, 1973|
|Dante Fascell||Democratic||January 3, 1973 – January 3, 1983||93rd
|Redistricted from the 12th district, Redistricted to the 19th district|
|Clay Shaw||Republican||January 3, 1983 – January 3, 1993||98th
|Redistricted from the 12th district, Redistricted to the 22nd district|
|Jim Bacchus||Democratic||January 3, 1993 – January 3, 1995||103rd||Redistricted from the 11th district, Retired|
|Dave Weldon||Republican||January 3, 1995 – January 3, 2009||104th
|Bill Posey||Republican||January 3, 2009 – January 3, 2013||111th
|Redistricted to the 8th district|
|Dennis Ross||Republican||January 3, 2013 – present||113th
|Redistricted from the 12th district|
|Democratic||Stephen Lee Blythe||151,951||41.99|
|Democratic||C. Shannon Roberts||85,595||35.27|
Republican candidate Dennis Ross won the election unopposed, as the Democrats did not nominate a candidate. Ross at the time was already the incumbent of the old 12th District prior to the 2010 reapportionment.
Living former representatives
As of January 2017[update], there are three former members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 15th congressional district who are currently living at this time. The most recent representative to die was E. Clay Shaw Jr. (1983-1993) on September 10, 2013.
|Representative||Term in office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Jim Bacchus||1993–1995||June 21, 1949|
|Dave Weldon||1995–2009||August 31, 1953|
|Bill Posey||2009-2011||December 18, 1947|
Historical district boundaries
- "Congressional Plan--SC14-1905 (Ordered by The Florida Supreme Court, 2-December-2015)" (PDF). Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- See whole Florida state map for 2013, with the 15th district in northern Hillsborough County and Polk County: h9047_35x42L.pdf Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 16, 2012.
- See 2013 borders of 15th district in the 2013 districts map: H000C9047_map_bb.pdf, for the Big Bend region of Florida. Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 2012.
- Klas, Mary Ellen. "Florida Supreme Court approves congressional map drawn by challengers". Miami Herald. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- Leary, Alex. "Rep. Dennis Ross is retiring". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2018-04-11.
- "Ballotpedia results for Florida's 15th Congressional District, 2012".
- "Ballotpedia for Florida's 15th district, 2014".
- "Ballotpedia for Florida's 15th district, 2016".
- 2008 Race Tracker
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present