Florida's 16th congressional district
|Florida's 16th congressional district|
|Current Representative||Vern Buchanan (R–Sarasota)|
Florida's 16th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress and was reassigned in 2012, effective January 2013, to western Manatee County, Florida and Sarasota County. The district stretches from Bradenton, the County Seat, in Manatee County to North Port, in Sarasota County, the county's youngest and most populous incorporated city. The city of Sarasota is the County Seat of Sarasota County.
The former 16th district in 2003–2012 stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Coast and included parts of Charlotte, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Okeechobee, St. Lucie, Martin, and Palm Beach counties. Included within the district were Port Charlotte, Port St. Lucie, and Palm Beach.
When the Florida legislature redistricted in 2002 after the 2000 U.S. Census, a federal court described the boundaries of the 16th Congressional District and the interlocking 23rd Congressional District as an example of gerrymandering and a "raw exercise of majority legislative power."
|Election results from presidential races|
|2008||President||John McCain 52 – Barack Obama 47%|
|2004||President||George W. Bush 55 – John Kerry 45%|
|2000||President||George W. Bush 53 – Al Gore 47%|
List of representatives
|District created||January 3, 1983|
|Lawrence Smith||Democratic||January 3, 1983 – January 3, 1993||98th
|Tom Lewis||Republican||January 3, 1993 – January 3, 1995||103rd||Redistricted from the 12th district, Retired|
|Mark Foley||Republican||January 3, 1995 – September 29, 2006||104th
|Vacant||September 29, 2006 – January 3, 2007||109th|
|Tim Mahoney||Democratic||January 3, 2007 – January 3, 2009||110th||Lost re-election|
|Tom Rooney||Republican||January 3, 2009 – January 3, 2013||111th
|Redistricted to the 17th district|
|Vern Buchanan||Republican||January 3, 2013 – present||113th
|Redistricted from the 13th district|
|Republican||Mark Foley* (Joe Negron)||111,415||47.66|
|Independent||Emmie Lee Ross||6,526||2.79|
|Democratic gain from Republican|
- The seat became vacant after Foley's sudden resignation on September 29, 2006, after it became public that he had sent inappropriate emails to male teenage former congressional pages. Foley's resignation occurred too late under Florida law to take his name off the ballot. Therefore, Foley's name remained on the ballot, but votes cast for him went to his replacement, State Representative Joe Negron, who would have been duly elected had Foley won the November 7, 2006 election. Since Mahoney won the election, the question did not arise.
|Republican gain from Democratic|
- Incumbent Tim Mahoney ran for reelection in 2008. His opponent was Tom Rooney, a former JAG officer, Special Assistant United States Attorney, and professor at the United States Military Academy. Rooney is also the grandson of the founder of the Pittsburgh Steelers. While Mahoney was initially favored, after the scandal involving his mistress, the race shifted toward "likely Republican" on the Cook Political Report.
Living former Members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 16th congressional district
As of May 2015[update], there are three former members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 16th congressional district that are currently living at this time.
|Representative||Term of office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Mark Foley||1995–2006||September 8, 1954|
|Tim Mahoney||2007–2009||August 16, 1956|
|Tom Rooney||2009–2013||November 21, 1970|
Historical district boundaries
- See whole Florida state map for 2013, with the 16th district in western Manatee County and Sarasota County, Florida: h9047_35x42L.pdf Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 16, 2012.
- See 2013 borders of 16th district in the 2013 districts map: H000C9047_map_sw.pdf, for the southwest region of Florida. Congressional Plan: H000C9047. Chapter No. 2012-2, Laws of Florida. www.flsenate.gov. February 2012.
- Martinez v. Bush, 234 F.Supp.2d 1275, S.D.Fla., December 3, 2002 senate.mn
- Foley Resigns From Congress Over E-Mails, Guardian Unlimited; Florida Republican Foley Resigns From U.S. House Seat, Bloomberg.com
- GOP Regroups After Foley's Departure, CBS News
- U.S. House District 16: Mahoney fends off Negron
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present