Florida is an unincorporated community in Lafayette Township, Madison County, Indiana.
Florida is located at 40°09′37″N 85°42′37″W / 40.16028°N 85.71028°W.
Florida was founded in 1856. It likely took its name from the state of Florida. A post office was established at Florida in 1864, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1903.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Florida, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Forkner, John La Rue and Dyson, Byron H. (1897). Historical Sketches and Reminiscences of Madison County, Indiana. Wilson, Humprheys & Co. p. 815.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 134. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...apparently named for the state.
- ^ "Madison County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 1 January 2015.