Florida National University
Florida International Institute|
Florida International College
Florida National College
|Motto||Opens Doors to the Future|
|Established||January 4, 1988|
|Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges|
|President||Dr. Jose Regueiro|
Basketball men's and J.V.|
Soccer men's and women's
Florida National University is a for-profit university in Hialeah, Florida. It was established in 1988. The student body is diverse, though primarily Hispanic. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
In 2012 the school had over 200 graduates. There are more than 1500 full-time students. Although the school is predominantly (approximately 94%) Hispanic, all classroom instruction is in English.
The school has two campus locations in Hialeah and one in Miami.
In 2013 the school initiated an athletic program with the sport of Men's basketball with Scott Schmidt appointed as the head coach and Athletic Director. The school adopted the nickname Conquistadors and competed in the USCAA. The Conquistadors basketball team played their first game against Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, FL on October 26, 2013, losing by a score of 98-51. In the fall of 2015, the school added men's soccer and Women's volleyball. In 2018, the school was admitted to the NAIA.
In May 2013, Florida International University sued Florida National University over the similarity of the institution's names. Florida International University lost the trademark infringement lawsuit filed against Florida National University
- "MISSION STATEMENT". Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "Accredited University Programs - Florida National University". Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Top 100 Colleges and Universities Granting" (PDF). Hispanicoutlook.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-02. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Florida National University". USCAA. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "FNU Edward Waters Box". theuscaa.com. United States Collegiate Athletic Association. 26 October 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "NAIA Approves Eight New Members". Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Pollard, Jonathan (2013-05-28). "Florida International University Sues Florida National University for Trademark Infringement, Unfair Competition « Florida Business Litigator Blog". Floridabusinesslitigator.com. Retrieved 2013-10-31.