Florida Second District Court of Appeal
The initial territorial jurisdiction of the Second District, with its headquarters in Lakeland, encompassed twenty-eight counties, ranging from Lake County in the north, to Collier County and Broward County in the south.
In 1965, the Fourth District was established, reducing the Second District's territory, which was further reduced by the establishment of the Fifth District in 1979. There are now fourteen counties in the Second District.
When the District Court of an Appeal for the Second District first convened, its headquarters were in the old Florida Citrus Commission building in Lakeland. In 1980 a branch headquarters for the Second District was authorized and in that same year was established in Tampa where the court maintains an additional courtroom and where eight of the court's judges now have their chambers. The chambers of six judges, the clerk's office, the marshal's office, and the court records are located in the court's Lakeland headquarters. The court hears oral arguments in both its Lakeland and Tampa courtrooms. Periodically, the court also hears oral arguments in county courthouses in various counties within the district.
Originally there were three judges in the Second District. There are now 14 judges on the court.
Judges who have served as Chief Judge of the Second DCA include but are not limited to:
- Abram Otto Kanner (1957-?)
- George T. Shannon 
- William P. Allen 
- David F. Patterson (2000-2001)
- Morris Silberman
Judges who are currently serving on the Second DCA include:
- Chris W. Altenbernd
- James W. Whatley
- Stevan T. Northcutt
- Charles A. Davis
- Morris Silberman
- Patricia J. Kelly
- Craig C. Villanti
- Douglas A. Wallace
- Edward C. LaRose
- Nelly N. Khouzam
- Marva Crenshaw
- Robert Morris
- Anthony K. Black
Judges who have served on the Second DCA include:
- Florida District Courts of Appeal (for history and general overview)
- Florida First District Court of Appeal
- Florida Third District Court of Appeal
- Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal
- Florida Fifth District Court of Appeal
- "Second District Court of Appeal celebrates 50 years". Florida Bar News. Florida Bar. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Justia US Law http://law.justia.com/cases/florida/supreme-court/1964/32730-0.html. Missing or empty
- Leagle http://www.leagle.com/decision/1967941196So2d745_1795.xml/STATE%20v.%20ALLEN. Retrieved 1 June 2015. Missing or empty