Florida State Fair
|Florida State Fair|
|Dates||February 8-19, 2018 (11 days)|
|Years active||1904 - Present|
|Florida State Fair website|
The Florida State Fair is held annually at the Florida State Fairgrounds in Tampa. The official state fair of Florida, it includes indoor and outdoor exhibits, rides and shows. It is a chance for the state to showcase its agricultural industry. The Fair also offers competitions and food oddities such as chocolate covered bacon. The annual event usually lasts for 11 days, usually in February.
In 1904, the South Florida Fair Association was formed and plans for a new exhibition were proposed. The fair was founded as the South Florida Fair in downtown Tampa and renamed the Mid-Winter Festival a few years later. The name finally changed to the present Florida State Fair in 1915.
In 1975, the Florida Legislature created the Florida State Fair Authority and designated the yearly event in Tampa as the official Florida State Fair. By 1977, the first fair was held at its current location, at the intersection of Interstate 4 and U.S. Highway 301 in unincorporated Hillsborough County.
The Florida State Fair also includes competitions in crafts such as fine arts and agricultural competitions. Entries are judged and ribbons awarded. 2009 saw new additions to the state fair, including a live shark exhibit and a rodeo.
Besides the rides and exhibits, other venues during the Fair include the Bob Thomas Equestrian Center, which hosts horse races and other equestrian events; Cracker Country, which demonstrates life in frontier Florida; and exhibitions from most counties of Florida plus various agricultural and other state organizations in the large Expo Hall.
- Florida State Fair: Entertainment
- "Florida State Fair". City of Tampa. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "At the Florida State Fair, enjoy animals, rides and food on a stick". The St. Petersburg Times. 5 February 2009. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- Main page
- Florida State Fair: History
- Florida State Fair Authority
- Florida State Fair Wednesday, Feb 11 9:00a to 6:00p at Cracker Country, Tampa, FL Herald Tribune.com http://events.heraldtribune.com/tampa-fl/events/show/85960265-florida-state-fair