Florida State League
Florida State League logo
|No. of teams||12|
|Dunedin Blue Jays &
Palm Beach Cardinals
|Most titles||Orlando Twins (7)|
|Official website||Official Website|
The Florida State League is a Minor League Baseball league based in the state of Florida. It is one of three leagues currently classified as Class A-Advanced, the third highest classification of minor leagues. Each team in the league is affiliated with a Major League Baseball team, and most play in their affiliate's spring training facility.
The league was founded in 1919, and has continued almost entirely uninterrupted to the present day. Most players in the Florida State League do not reach this level until their third or fourth year of professional play.
The league originated in 1919 with teams in Bartow, Bradenton, Lakeland, Orlando, Sanford, and Tampa, Florida. The league closed down in 1928 and resumed play in 1936. It has continued uninterrupted, except for a four-year (1942–1945) suspension during World War II.
In 2009, the Florida State League established a Hall of Fame commemorating the league's great players, managers, owners, and umpires. The awards and ceremonies for the inaugural class will take place at the FSL's winter meetings in Daytona Beach in November.
The championship series' first cancellation was in 2001, when playoffs were canceled after the September 11 attacks. Afterwards, the 2004 playoffs were canceled due to the threat of Hurricane Ivan. Years later, the 2017 FSL Championship finals were canceled on September 5, due to the threat of Hurricane Irma. The winners of the division series playoff games were named co-champions. This marked the third time since 2000 that the championship series game was canceled.
Teams of the early FSL (1919–28)
Teams of the modern FSL (1936–present)
- Florida State League Player of the Year Award
- Florida State League Pitcher of the Year Award
- Florida State League Manager of the Year Award
Florida State League Hall of Fame
The Florida State League Hall of Fame began in 2009.
- "Personnel and Staff". Florida State League. Minor League Baseball. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- "Standings | MiLB.com Standings | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Web.minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Championship Series Cancelled". MiLB.com. September 5, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Norris, Josh (September 5, 2017). "Florida State League cancels its Championship Series". Baseball America. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Kirkland, Gary (March 19, 2005). "Are the minor leagues returning to Gainesville?". gainesville.com. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- "FSL Hall of Fame - Florida State League About". Florida State League.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Florida State League.|
- Florida State League official website