Florida State Road 681
|Venice Connector / US 41 Connector|
|Maintained by FDOT|
|Length:||4.142 mi (6.666 km)|
|Existed:||1982 – present|
|South end:||US 41 in Nokomis|
|North end:||I-75 near Sarasota|
SR 681 begins at an interchange with US 41/SR 45 in Nokomis, heading north as a four-lane freeway. The road passes through woods and fields, coming to a bridge over the Legacy Trail, a rail trail. The freeway heads northeast through more rural areas, coming to an at-grade signalized intersection with Honore Avenue. A short distance later, SR 681 merges onto the northbound direction of I-75/SR 93 at an interchange.
There have been plans to place three road-level intersections and traffic lights added to State Road 681 sometime after 2006, which would be the first intersections and development on the road. In May 2014, work began on extending Honore Avenue from Laurel Road to SR 681 as part of a $11.7 million Sarasota County capital improvement project. On April 28, 2016, the final phase of the Honore Avenue / Pinebrook Road Extension was completed. This completion provides a full access road-level signalized intersection at Honore Avenue which was previously only accessible via southbound SR 681. Interstate 75 could only be entered going northbound and exited on to SR 681 southbound until the completion of the Honore Avenue expansion. This also made Honore Avenue the first contiguous road to run from Venice north to the Sarasota County line since 1982 when State Road 681 was constructed. Previously, US 41 and I-75 were the only continuous north-south thoroughfares linking Venice and Sarasota.
The entire route is in Sarasota County.
|Nokomis||0.000||0.000||US 41 (SR 45) – Osprey, Venice, Gulf Beaches||interchange|
|||4.142||6.666||I-75 north (SR 93) – Tampa||I-75 exit 200|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- FDOT straight line diagrams Archived March 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine., accessed March 2014
- "Straight-Line Diagrams". Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- Google (August 18, 2012). "overview of State Road 681" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved August 18, 2012.
- "Road plan could clog State Road 681". The Herald-Tribune.
- "Honore Avenue extension opens to traffic". The Herald-Tribune. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Honore Avenue Phase VII Capital Improvement Project" (PDF). Honore Avenue / Pinebrook Extension. Sarasota County Government. June 2016. Retrieved August 18, 2016.