Florida State Road 838
|Maintained by FDOT|
|Length:||10.202 mi (16.419 km)|
|West end:||SR 817 in Plantation|
|East end:||SR A1A in Fort Lauderdale|
State Road 838 (SR 838), locally known as Sunrise Boulevard, is a 10.2 miles (16.4 km) long east–west highway serving central Broward County. The western terminus is at an intersection with the Sawgrass Expressway (SR 869) in Sunrise; the eastern terminus is at intersection with North Ocean Boulevard (SR A1A) in Fort Lauderdale, next to Hugh Taylor Birch State Park. For 0.91 miles (1.46 km) in downtown Fort Lauderdale, SR 838 overlaps U.S. Route 1.
Sunrise Boulevard has its western terminus at the Sawgrass Expressway. On the northwest quadrant of its intersection with Flamingo Road is Sawgrass Mills, one of the nation's largest malls. After it passes the mall, SR 838 passes through mainly residential areas until its intersection with University Drive. During this span, Sunrise Boulevard also has the hidden designation of County Road 838 along with its state road designation.
About two miles down the road from University Drive intersection is Plantation High School, followed by interchanges with Florida's Turnpike and US 441 (SR 7), with the latter intersection at the border between Plantation and Lauderhill. Central Broward Regional Park and the Swap Shop border the road to the north after the interchange with US 441 as it enters the Dillard Park neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale. The interchange with I-95 soon follows.
After its intersection with Powerline Road, SR 838 becomes concurrent with US 1 for about a mile. After it passes by The Galleria at Fort Lauderdale east of the second intersection with Federal Highway, it crosses over the Intracoastal Waterway and from here to its eastern terminus, SR 838 forms the southern border of Hugh Taylor Birch State Park, and the road ends at SR A1A.
The entire route is in Broward County.
|Plantation||0.000||0.000||SR 817 (University Drive)||West end of state maintenance|
|3.165||5.094||Turnpike (SR 91) – Orlando, Miami||Exit 58 (Turnpike)|
|Plantation–Lauderhill line||4.03||6.49||US 441 (SR 7)||Interchange|
|Fort Lauderdale||6.1||9.8||I-95 (SR 9) – West Palm Beach, Miami||Exit 29 (I-95)|
|7.050||11.346||SR 845 north (Powerline Road)|
|7.409||11.924||SR 811 north (Northeast 4th Avenue)|
|8.161||13.134||US 1 south (North Federal Highway / SR 5) – Downtown Fort Lauderdale||Western end of US 1 / SR 5 concurrency|
|9.011||14.502||US 1 north (North Federal Highway / SR 5)||Eastern end of US 1 / SR 5 concurrency|
|Sunrise Boulevard Bridge over Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway|
|10.202||16.419||SR A1A (Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard)||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- FDOT straight line diagrams, accessed March 2014
- Google (7 February 2013). "Florida 838" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Straight Line Diagram of Road Inventory (US 1) (Map). Florida Department of Transportation. 27 December 2011. p. 1 of 4. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- General Highway map of Broward County, Florida (PDF) (Map). Florida Department of Transportation. 2008. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Straight Line Diagram of Road Inventory (SR 838) (Map). Florida Department of Transportation. 22 December 2011. p. 1 of 2. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Straight Line Diagram of Road Inventory (SR 838) (Map). Florida Department of Transportation. 22 December 2011. p. 2 of 2. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Straight Line Diagram of Road Inventory (SR 838) (Map). Florida Department of Transportation. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2013.