Florida banded water snake
|Florida banded water snake|
|Florida banded water snake in defensive posture|
N. f. pictiventris
|Nerodia fasciata pictiventris|
The Florida banded water snake (Nerodia fasciata pictiventris), a subspecies of the banded water snake (southern water snake - Nerodia fasciata), is a nonvenomous natricine colubrid native to the southeastern United States.
The Florida banded water snake is endemic throughout Florida and southeastern Georgia. In addition, it has been introduced to Brownsville, Texas. It has also established populations in Folsom and Harbor City, California.
Dorsally, it is light brown or yellowish, with 26–35 reddish-brown to black crossbands. Ventrally, it is yellow or white, with reddish-brown or black markings. In large adult individuals, the ground color on the lower sides is sometimes darker than the crossbands, producing an appearance of alternating blotches on the back and sides.
The Florida water snake differs from the southern water snake (N. f. fasciata) chiefly in the shape of the markings on the ventrals. In N. f.pictiventris, these markings consist of transverse blotches, many of them enclosing an oval white spot, whereas in N. f. fasciata, they are solid, squarish spots.
Adults average 24 to 42 in (61 to 107 cm) in total length.
- Balfour et al. 2007.
- Fuller and Trevett. 2006.
- Schmidt, K.P., and D.D. Davis. 1941. Fieldbook of Snakes of the United States and Canada. G.P. Putnam's Sons. New York. 365 pp. (Natrix sipedon pictiventris, pp. 221-222, Figure 72.)
- Wright, A.H., and A.A. Wright. 1957. Handbook of Snakes of the United States and Canada. Comstock. Ithaca and London. 1,105 pp. (in 2 volumes) (Natrix sipedon pictiventris, pp. 535-538, Figure 159. + Map 42. on p. 512.)
- Balfour, P.S., E.W. Stitt, and M.M. Fuller. 2007. Nerodia fasciata pictiventris (Florida water snake). Herpetological Review 38:363.
- Cope, E.D. 1895. On some new North American Snakes. American Naturalist 29: 676-689. (Natrix fasciata pictiventris, pp. 677–678.)
- Fuller, M.M. and B.W. Trevett. 2006. Nerodia fasciata pictiventris (Florida water snake). Herpetological Review 37:363.
|Wikispecies has information related to Nerodia fasciata|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nerodia fasciata.|
- Florida Banded Watersnake
- Southern Banded Water Snakes
- "Florida banded water snake" at the Encyclopedia of Life
|This colubrid snake article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|