Location of Flowella, Texas
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||95 ft (29 m)|
|• Density||118/sq mi (45.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1335980|
Flowella is located at  near the intersection of State Highway 285 and FM 2191 in northeastern Brooks County. It is situated approximately 5 miles (8 km) east of Falfurrias, the Brooks County seat.(27.219277, -98.066155)
Flowella was founded in 1909 by promoters Burton and Danforth. The community was planned with a flowing well as its centerpiece. A post office was established in Flowella in 1910. It remained in operation for the next 13 years. Sixty people were living in the community in 1914. The town also had a hotel and general store.
As of the census of 2000, there were 134 people, 46 households, and 35 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 130.5 people per square mile (50.2/km²). There were 56 housing units at an average density of 54.6/sq mi (21.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 55.97% White, 43.28% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 97.01% of the population.
There were 46 households out of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 15.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.9% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 119.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $11,250, and the median income for a family was $12,404. Males had a median income of $13,750 versus $9,844 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $5,560. There were 50.9% of families and 37.9% of the population living below the poverty line, including 32.8% of under eighteens and 53.1% of those over 64.
Public education in the community of Flowella is provided by the Brooks County Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Flowella CDP, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Flowella, Texas". The Handbook of Texas online. Retrieved 2008-05-10.
- "Flowella, Texas". Texas Escapes Online Magazine. Retrieved 2009-05-10.