|Population||429 (2011 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Murrindindi|
Flowerdale is a town in Victoria, Australia. It is in the Shire of Murrindindi local government area, 95 kilometres (59 mi) from the state capital, Melbourne and in the foothills of the Great Dividing Range, in the upper catchment of the Goulburn River system. At the 2011 Census, Flowerdale had a population of 429.
Flowerdale Post Office opened on 4 February 1881 and closed in 1974.
Flowerdale absorbed the entire adjacent town of Hazeldene on 9 April 2014, when the state government formally merged the two towns. The council, which had supported the move, cited a community desire for a "unified sense of community identity" following the Black Saturday bushfires, which had caused significant damage in both towns.
Hazeldene had a population of 535 at the 2006 census. Over 200 houses had been destroyed and over 10 deaths had been recorded as occurring in Hazeldene during the bushfires. The General Store and Post Office were spared, but the Jarara Community Centre was destroyed in the bushfires. In the 2009-2010 Budget, Murrindindi Shire Council indicated that the Jarara Community Centre would be rebuilt, but due to the high fire danger associated with its previous site, in Silver Creek Road, Council would be rebuilding it elsewhere within Hazeldene.
Golfers play at the course of the Valley View Golf Coaching Centre on Spring Valley Road, Flowerdale.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Flowerdale (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008
- Baker, Richard (10 February 2009). "Tiny Flowerdale blossoms no longer". The Age. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- Deloitte TV Australia
- "One locality for Flowerdale and Hazeldene". Shire of Murrundindi. 9 April 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Hazeldene (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Victoria under siege as fires rage across state". Herald Sun. 8 February 2009. Archived from the original on 8 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- Murrindindi Shire Council, 2009-2010 Council Budget, adopted by Council in October 2009.
- Jarara Community Centre Committee of Management Minutes of Meeting held on 25 May 2009.
- Golf Select, Valley View, retrieved 11 May 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flowerdale, Victoria.|
|This article about a location in Victoria, Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|