Location of Flowood, Mississippi
|• Total||16.6 sq mi (42.9 km2)|
|• Land||16.3 sq mi (42.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
|• Density||291.7/sq mi (112.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0670061|
Flowood is located at (32.316673, -90.114858).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 16.6 square miles (43 km2), of which 16.3 square miles (42 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (1.69%) is water. The city limits of Flowood include 10 miles of the Lakeland Dr (Hwy 25) corridor from the Pearl River at the Jackson city limits to Hwy 471 north of Brandon.
In June 2009 Flowood voters approved (by a 75%-25% margin) being classified as a resort area which allows liquor by the glass in restaurants and hotels, coming out from under a dry county.
Flowood R/C Indoor Park
The Flowood R/C Park is the very first of its kind. It is the only city owned indoor r/c park in the country. Please visit Flowoodrc.com for more info.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,750 people, 2,130 households, and 1,145 families residing in the city. The population density was 291.7 people per square mile (112.7/km²). There were 2,371 housing units at an average density of 145.6 per square mile (56.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 79.92% White, 16.63% African American, 0.17% Native American, 1.89% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.61% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.77% of the population.
There were 2,130 households out of which 29.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.8% were married couples living together,1.7% of households consisted of unmarried partners,10.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.2% were non-families. 35.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.5% under the age of 18, 16.1% from 18 to 24, 41.0% from 25 to 44, 15.1% from 45 to 64, and 4.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 90.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $40,333, and the median income for a family was $49,767. Males had a median income of $37,500 versus $29,773 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,875. About 10.3% of families and 13.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 9.2% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Flowood's public schools are served by the Rankin County School District.
- Northwest Rankin High School (Grades 9-12)
- Northwest Rankin Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Flowood Elementary School (Grades K-5)
- Northshore Elementary School (Grades K-5)
- Northwest Elementary School (Grades K-5)
- Oakdale Elementary School (Grades K-5)
- Highland Bluff Elementary School (Grades K-5)
Colleges and Universities
- Kyle Carpenter, a retired United States Marine who received in 2014 the United States' highest military honor, the Medal of Honor for his actions in Marjah, Helmand Province, Afghanistan in 2010. Carpenter is the youngest currently living Medal of Honor recipient.
- Chris Epps, the former head of the Mississippi Department of Corrections
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Chris Epps, Cecil McCrory plead guilty to corruption" (Archive). The Clarion-Ledger. February 25, 2015. Retrieved on February 27, 2015.
- City of Flowood Website
- The Chamber of Flowood
- A Flowood Business Directory - Flowood MS
- Flowood R/C Indoor Park