Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero
|Date||May 4, 2013|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|Title(s) on the line||WBC Welterweight title.|
The Ring Welterweight title
|Tale of the tape|
|Floyd Mayweather via Unanimous Decision|
(117-111, 117-111, 117-111)
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero, billed as May Day, was a boxing welterweight championship superfight for Mayweather's World Boxing Council (WBC) Welterweight title and vacant Ring Welterweight title. The bout was held on May 4, 2013, in the MGM Grand Garden Arena at the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States on Showtime PPV. The bout was the first major televised fight of Mayweather's career to not be aired on HBO PPV. The card featured some of the rising stars of Mayweather Promotions: J'Leon Love, Badou Jack, Luis Arias, Ronald Gavril and Lanell Bellows. Mayweather won via unanimous decision with Guerrero winning the first 3 rounds, before Mayweather adjusted and won from the 4th to 12th round.
Mayweather's assistant trainer (his father) advised him onto a very defensive strategy, saying that "the less you get hit, the longer you last". This style of fighting elicited boos from the crowd especially during the 11th and 12th round when Floyd may have believed he had the score "locked up" already and didn't need to win any more rounds, saying that "When you're up on the cards, box smart."
|Welterweight||Floyd Mayweather Jr.||def.||Robert Guerrero||Unanimous Decision||12||3:00||Championship bout.|
|Featherweight||Abner Mares||def.||Daniel Ponce De Leon||TKO||9||2:20||Championship bout.|
|Super Bantamweight||Léo Santa Cruz||def.||Alexander Muñoz||TKO||5||1:05|
|Middleweight||J'Leon Love||vs.||Gabriel Rosado||No Contest||10||3:00|
|Super Middleweight||Ronald Gavril||def.||Roberto Yong||TKO||3||2:12|
|Super Middleweight||Lanell Bellows||def.||Matt Garretson||TKO||4||0:32|
|Super Middleweight||Luis Arias||def.||DonYil Livingston||Majority Decision||6||3:00|
|Light Heavyweight||Badou Jack||def.||Michael Gbenga||TKO||3||2:26|
† The GMA News TV version cancelled due to low ratings of Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Robert Guerrero, billed as May Day
†† AKTV on IBC coverage have stopped airing due to high blocktime costs of Mayweather-Guerrero fight during primetime telecast. The last AKTV sports block before its shut down on May 31, 2013.
- "Ring Ratings Update: Mayweather-Guerrero for RING welterweight title". CraveOnline. 2013-03-06.
- "Mayweather Promotions Fighters". mayweatherpromotions.com. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Floyd Mayweather Jr Proves Now". espn. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Floyd Mayweather beats Robert Guerrero - as it happened". Guardian. 5 May 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Floyd Mayweather equals his own all-time record with $32 million base purse". 2013-05-03.
- "Mayweather produces masterclass against Guerrero to cruise to punch-perfect victory". Daily Mail. 5 May 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr .vs. Robert Guerrero Official Fight Card from BoxRec
- Floyd Mayweather Jr .vs. Robert Guerrero on Showtime
- Golden Boy Promotions
- Mayweather Promotions
W12 Miguel Cotto
| Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s bouts
May 5, 2013
W12 Saúl Álvarez
W12 Andre Berto
| Robert Guerrero's bouts
May 5, 2013
W12 Yoshihiro Kamegai